I just started reading One Piece.

May God rest my soul.

Oegyein

Wanted alien fugitive
Umbration

Duality

May God rest my soul.
Esther recommends it every time it comes up in convo. So does my brother. The scary thing about the two of them is that it comes up in conversation the same way.

I'm so close to caving and joining the strawhat cult.

Drakilax

Getting better?
Umbration

Duality

May God rest my soul.
One Piece is the first manga I ever read, back in 2004, and is probably a big contributor to my eventual plummet into becoming a full-fledged otaku. I still keep up with it to this day; it's one of the only series that's gone on for this long without changing protagonists that I feel hasn't stagnated.

Zules

maybe Exvulnerum wasn't a mistake
Admin
Umbration

Caprice
I'm getting close to the end of See You In My 19th Life (on Webtoon), and I'm really enjoying it!!! It has a lot of angst which is just my cup of tea of course :lol: But it can also be super cute and silly and has made me laugh out loud!

The plot kind of lost me for a bit towards the middle/second half of the story, and it seemed like it wasn't really going anywhere, but now I see that IT WAS.
I finished this one today, and it was delightful! It's definitely one of my top recommendations, especially if you like an angsty romance with comedy and fantasy elements.

I think my favorite part about it was the female lead's personality--she was super earnest and refreshingly different.

Reactions: Rue

Rateus

Master Master Investigator
Umbration

Velocity
Ok doke:

Awaken is a story about a (sometimes adorable) brat called Piras who gets thrown into a fantasy world with monsters called aberrations and has to save the world with a bunch of (sort of) magical misfits. I love Nyl and Lilly.

Alice and The Nightmare is, as you'd expect a loosely based on Alice in Wonderland fantasy tale starting with Alice leaving her secluded upbringing with The Queen and going to boarding school where she slowly learns about the truth of the world. I love Edith.

Apricot Cookies is a spoof on the Japanese Magical Girl type comics starring Apricot who is the only girl without magic (sort of. It gets complicated). I love Butter.

Bittersweet Candy Bowl is one of the first webcomics I ever started following. It's essentially a high-school drama with lots of angst and humour and silly teenage dramas and romances. It's gone through multiple art styles including a beautiful watercolour phase. Trigger warning for self harm and suicide references. I love Daisy and Lucy.

The Black Orb is a wholesome fantasy adventure romp. Sasha and her bunch of friends have to gather a bunch of medallions to save the world or something.

Everpresent Selina escapes her "mother" (sort of) in the Underworld and escaped to a local kingdom where she is taken in and cared for. It's set in a fantasy, magical world and deals with the tensions between those neighbours through that lens.

Kamikaze Set in a future dystopia with a Centre City of haves and an outer ring of have nots trying to survive behind the wall protecting the from the unknown in the wastes beyond. I love Audrey.

Replay A apocalypse one, this time a demon invasion apocalypse. Mostly it's about the survivors rebuilding society and local relationship dramas as they establish camp. Trigger warning for some bloody violence (but I've very squeamish and I got through it so you should be fine). I love Nina and Ada, and Sofia I guess, they're all pretty great.

Raruurien is a set in a fantasy magical world which feels kinda Zelda-esque to me. It's following a family as they rebuild their lives in heartwarming fashion with absolutely beautiful artwork. Might be sort of on unofficial hiatus.

Questionable Content Started off as kind of one shot page pop culture jokes but has turned into an inclusive slice of life real life setting story (albeit real life with the addition of sentient AI that everyone is cool with). It's approaching 5000 pages and 20 years and updates daily because Jeph is a machine! I love Emily and Brun.

Tiger Tiger is set in a fantasy world and follows a frustrated female from a noble family escaping the shackles of life in a society which expected her just to be a good, quiet, biddable wife (which I'm sure Amber would empathise with). All she wants to do is sail the seven seas* and study sea sponges. (*I don't know how many seas their world actually has).

Never Satisfied is an inclusive tale set in a fantasy world following a teenage protagonist who desperately wants to be magical, so much so that try to win a magical contest against their peers despite their lack of magic and try to hide that fact with a lot more success than you'd expect. Featuring some of the most stunning backgrounds I've seen outside of Suihira which I've seen mentioned above. I love Phillie

Detox Camp Unruly, troubled teens are shipped off to Alaska where some fantasy folklore type stuff unfolds in the background unexpectedly.

There are others on Webtoons and Tapas, but I much prefer the ones that have their own page. The absolute peak in there are the long running Spaceboy which is a wholesome adventure set in a sci-fi future. The completed Always Human with is a lovely gentle WLW romance set in a Sci-fi Future (the author also has an ongoing work called Seven Days in Silverglen which is similarly themed but with more a fantasy than Sci-fi world). Ash In The Wind is a romance/accidental parallel world discovery adventure. Dame Daffodil is a highschool LGBT+ romance which just happens to involve secret superpowers and alter-egos saving the world from monsters (with only very family friendly cartoon violence). All Known Alternatives is another parallel worlds sci-fi fantasy adventure which is slow paced and long form so right up my street. Ryder is a fantasy/secret parallel supernatural dimension which is the setting for a bi-panic possibly polyamorous it's hard to say at this point romance drama. Blades of Fury is set in a the competitive world of battle-skating in a world full of fun anthro characters (and is primarily about the developing relationships of the competitors). Finally, cos I meant to go to bed 45 minutes ago Not So Shoujo Love Story which is another trope spoofer along the lines of Apricot Cookies, only without any of the fantasy magic stuff (at least I think so, sometimes it's hard to tell).

I only intended to pick a couple of my favourites from Webtoons, but then I kept feeling guilty about the ones I was leaving out :-/ Sorry it got a bit long winded.

Oegyein

Wanted alien fugitive
Umbration

Duality
Ok doke:

Awaken is a story about a (sometimes adorable) brat called Piras who gets thrown into a fantasy world with monsters called aberrations and has to save the world with a bunch of (sort of) magical misfits. I love Nyl and Lilly.

Alice and The Nightmare is, as you'd expect a loosely based on Alice in Wonderland fantasy tale starting with Alice leaving her secluded upbringing with The Queen and going to boarding school where she slowly learns about the truth of the world. I love Edith.

Apricot Cookies is a spoof on the Japanese Magical Girl type comics starring Apricot who is the only girl without magic (sort of. It gets complicated). I love Butter.

Bittersweet Candy Bowl is one of the first webcomics I ever started following. It's essentially a high-school drama with lots of angst and humour and silly teenage dramas and romances. It's gone through multiple art styles including a beautiful watercolour phase. Trigger warning for self harm and suicide references. I love Daisy and Lucy.

The Black Orb is a wholesome fantasy adventure romp. Sasha and her bunch of friends have to gather a bunch of medallions to save the world or something.

Everpresent Selina escapes her "mother" (sort of) in the Underworld and escaped to a local kingdom where she is taken in and cared for. It's set in a fantasy, magical world and deals with the tensions between those neighbours through that lens.

Kamikaze Set in a future dystopia with a Centre City of haves and an outer ring of have nots trying to survive behind the wall protecting the from the unknown in the wastes beyond. I love Audrey.

Replay A apocalypse one, this time a demon invasion apocalypse. Mostly it's about the survivors rebuilding society and local relationship dramas as they establish camp. Trigger warning for some bloody violence (but I've very squeamish and I got through it so you should be fine). I love Nina and Ada, and Sofia I guess, they're all pretty great.

Raruurien is a set in a fantasy magical world which feels kinda Zelda-esque to me. It's following a family as they rebuild their lives in heartwarming fashion with absolutely beautiful artwork. Might be sort of on unofficial hiatus.

Questionable Content Started off as kind of one shot page pop culture jokes but has turned into an inclusive slice of life real life setting story (albeit real life with the addition of sentient AI that everyone is cool with). It's approaching 5000 pages and 20 years and updates daily because Jeph is a machine! I love Emily and Brun.

Tiger Tiger is set in a fantasy world and follows a frustrated female from a noble family escaping the shackles of life in a society which expected her just to be a good, quiet, biddable wife (which I'm sure Amber would empathise with). All she wants to do is sail the seven seas* and study sea sponges. (*I don't know how many seas their world actually has).

Never Satisfied is an inclusive tale set in a fantasy world following a teenage protagonist who desperately wants to be magical, so much so that try to win a magical contest against their peers despite their lack of magic and try to hide that fact with a lot more success than you'd expect. Featuring some of the most stunning backgrounds I've seen outside of Suihira which I've seen mentioned above. I love Phillie

Detox Camp Unruly, troubled teens are shipped off to Alaska where some fantasy folklore type stuff unfolds in the background unexpectedly.

There are others on Webtoons and Tapas, but I much prefer the ones that have their own page. The absolute peak in there are the long running Spaceboy which is a wholesome adventure set in a sci-fi future. The completed Always Human with is a lovely gentle WLW romance set in a Sci-fi Future (the author also has an ongoing work called Seven Days in Silverglen which is similarly themed but with more a fantasy than Sci-fi world). Ash In The Wind is a romance/accidental parallel world discovery adventure. Dame Daffodil is a highschool LGBT+ romance which just happens to involve secret superpowers and alter-egos saving the world from monsters (with only very family friendly cartoon violence). All Known Alternatives is another parallel worlds sci-fi fantasy adventure which is slow paced and long form so right up my street. Ryder is a fantasy/secret parallel supernatural dimension which is the setting for a bi-panic possibly polyamorous it's hard to say at this point romance drama. Blades of Fury is set in a the competitive world of battle-skating in a world full of fun anthro characters (and is primarily about the developing relationships of the competitors). Finally, cos I meant to go to bed 45 minutes ago Not So Shoujo Love Story which is another trope spoofer along the lines of Apricot Cookies, only without any of the fantasy magic stuff (at least I think so, sometimes it's hard to tell).

I only intended to pick a couple of my favourites from Webtoons, but then I kept feeling guilty about the ones I was leaving out :-/ Sorry it got a bit long winded.
OH MAN OH MAN YOU READ AWAKEN!?

Zules

Admin
Umbration

Caprice
It amazes me how many beloved webcomics there are that I've never even heard of. I wish I could read them all!

My current Webtoons side project is trying to catch up on Not So Shoujo Love Story :lol: The expressions are top tier hilarious

Rateus

Umbration

Velocity
I should add in the Visual Novel from Brianna Lei Butterfly Soup because that's flipping wonderful and free on Itch.io (well, pay what you want with a recommended fee. I played it for free then dropped a $50 once I'd had a chance to gauge it...)

chaosenjoyer

You drink water, I drink anarchy
Umbration

Cosmos
The absolute peak in there are the long running Spaceboy which is a wholesome adventure set in a sci-fi future.
I think you're my new favorite person; Spaceboy is what got me into webcomics in the first place and it's still my favorite (sorry, Exvulnerum). Also, if you haven't read Mal and Chad (in case you don't know, it's the author's other graphic novel series) you definitely should check it out. It's a bunch of goofy kids, sci-fi shenanigans, and a surprising amount of emotional depth. It's not a webcomic, but you can buy all three books for around $12 on a (legitimate) site called thriftbooks. And that goes for any Spaceboy fans on here; y'all will love Mal and Chad.

Rateus

Umbration

Velocity
I think you're my new favorite person; Spaceboy is what got me into webcomics in the first place and it's still my favorite (sorry, Exvulnerum). Also, if you haven't read Mal and Chad (in case you don't know, it's the author's other graphic novel series) you definitely should check it out. It's a bunch of goofy kids, sci-fi shenanigans, and a surprising amount of emotional depth. It's not a webcomic, but you can buy all three books for around $12 on a (legitimate) site called thriftbooks. And that goes for any Spaceboy fans on here; y'all will love Mal and Chad.
I'll check that out, thank-you :)

chaosenjoyer

You drink water, I drink anarchy
Umbration

Cosmos
I forgot to post my list, and it's fairly short, so:

The Property of Hate: A semi-surreal fantasy about a man with a TV for a head who takes a hero from our world into his. It's got a randomly shifting art style (which is always pretty cool) and a ton of fun characters. (PG)

Edmund Finney's Quest to Find the Meaning of Life: A goofy, semi-dark humor webcomic taking place through weird and uncanny locales. This one had me cry-laughing several times. (PG)

164 Days: A young man looks for his missing brother with help from a weather witch, and ends up discovering a dark secret. This is the comic I'd recommend most to Exvulnerum fans; it has a similar brand of humor and writing style (though it's a lot less dark). (G)

A lot of my other favorites (like Castoff and Gamercat) have already been mentioned a lot in this thread. On the Webtoon side of things:

Unlucky is as Lucky Does- This one is just straight-up ridiculous. Think of it as a typical knight-vs-evil fantasy story, but almost everyone is either a complete idiot or an exaggerated character trope. (PG-13, some language and a bit of adult humor)

Stagtown- A horror webcomic about a town that doesn't let its inhabitants leave. Full of tension, action, and mystery. Has an ARG running alongside it, but you can enjoy the story even if you don't participate. (PG-13)

Axed- A comedy about a girl who does temp work with monsters. The final arc is surprisingly emotional. (PG-13, frequent innuendo)

And also Space Boy (obviously) and Cursed Princess Club. Wow, this list ended up longer than I expected it to.

Last edited:

Zules

Admin
Umbration

Caprice
I've come to the realization lately that I need to read more Webtoons. I haven't read any at all, basically, for the past several weeks, because my habit was to read them in bed right before sleeping, but then I realized staring at a screen during bedtime was interfering with my sleep quality. So now I'm not using the app at all, but that means I'm severely falling behind on some of my favorite comics.

I could read them during another time of day, but no time feels right.

Changing and reorganizing habits is hard.

Strangely enough, I habitually read my traditionally-formatted webcomics in the morning at my desktop computer and have no problem with that. My brain is weird.

Oegyein

Wanted alien fugitive
Umbration

Duality
Esther got me onto "Hero Oh Hero". It's good. Too good. I've caught up and now I'm waiting with baited breath for the next page to come out.

Last time I got caught up on a web comic, I decided to join their online community and accidentally cemented myself as a permanent member through regular interactions and funny sketches.

Oegyein

Wanted alien fugitive
Umbration

Duality
Also, there used to be a comic I read back in High School, Sandra and Woo, and it only occurs to me now how creepy it was. Like, "this comic should definitely not be about kids" kinda creepy.

Rateus

Umbration

Velocity
I used to follow Sandra and Woo. Kinda drifted away from it, not sure why. It was fun and well drawn but really slow going. Gaia is the same.