VIDYA GAEMZ!!1

Oegyein

Wanted alien fugitive
Umbration

Duality
We need to talk. There is a lost NES game from my childhood you might have.
shoot me the title, I will take a look into my illicit game library of questionable sources

Oegyein

Wanted alien fugitive
Umbration

Duality
on further inspection, some of these files are as old as 1997 (Battletoads).

There are 1391 officially licensed games made for the NES. My USB stick (apparently from 1997) contains 793 files, of which only 3 or not .NES files.
There is an estimated 730 games on this stick, accounting for over half of all NES games produced. If we forget NES titles that are exclusive to Japan, (of which there are 681), my USB contains more than the number of games available on the North American NES.

Of course, I haven't gone through with a fine tooth comb to check if they're all licensed NES games, nor if there are any double ups or technicalities, but having this USB feels highly illegal knowing Tinendo's scorched earth copyright practices.

Oegyein

Wanted alien fugitive
Umbration

Duality

Rateus

Master Master Investigator
Umbration

Velocity
oof. Any chance do you remember the premise or the gameplay?
Of course. I played it with friends on the Amiga when it came out then got an emulated version on my PC year later for the reprise.

You play a cute cartoon dinosaur (?) lizard (?) type thing called Bub (or Bob if you're player 2). You scuttle around various one screen levels on increasing complexity, jumping between platforms and trying to catch that levels waves of enemies in the bubbles that you blow. Once captured enemies float off their path and you need to jump into the bubbles to pop them and kill the enemy. If you don't get to the trapped enemies in time they escape their bubbles and drop back into their patterns with super speed so you really want to get them before that happens (and the level design makes it increasingly difficult to do so). You get multipliers for popping multiple trapped enemies at once, so there's a nice risk/reward balance in there for you. If you're touched by an enemy you lose a life, but if you run out of lives you can come back with a fresh set after a brief pause with an arcade style "insert coin" button in 2P mode, the only way to get a full game over is if both of you run out of lives simultaneously which leads to some really tense moments.

2P gaming is co-op with competitive scoring, when you pop enemies the drop items to collect for points and power ups and various things drop/float into the levels. Some of the levels are much easier with a team-mate because you can do things like boost jumping off your own bubbles, to get to places it seems at face value like you shouldn't and that's much easier with someone blowing bubbles for you rather than timing your own bubble blowing and jumping like you need to one some of the more complicated later levels in single player mode.

The enemies on each level appear and move in the same pattern each time and on a loop, and you have a brief period to set yourself up, so you can pre-empt the sequences you remember to make your lives easier and maximise your score (though as you proceed the increasing complexity of the level design protects against that to an extent).

Each level has a time limit, once that is reached a giant untrappable boss enemy appears on the screen and slowly moves towards you in short bursts, slowly speeding up. You have a period of grace to finish the level, but it gets increasingly difficult encouraging you to play fairly fast but usually not manically so.

Look out for the flask/carafe special item in particular, also the umbrella. The bow tie and the shoes are also very handy.

Rateus

Umbration

Velocity
Of course. I played it with friends on the Amiga when it came out then got an emulated version on my PC year later for the reprise.

You play a cute cartoon dinosaur (?) lizard (?) type thing called Bub (or Bob if you're player 2). You scuttle around various one screen levels on increasing complexity, jumping between platforms and trying to catch that levels waves of enemies in the bubbles that you blow. Once captured enemies float off their path and you need to jump into the bubbles to pop them and kill the enemy. If you don't get to the trapped enemies in time they escape their bubbles and drop back into their patterns with super speed so you really want to get them before that happens (and the level design makes it increasingly difficult to do so). You get multipliers for popping multiple trapped enemies at once, so there's a nice risk/reward balance in there for you. If you're touched by an enemy you lose a life, but if you run out of lives you can come back with a fresh set after a brief pause with an arcade style "insert coin" button in 2P mode, the only way to get a full game over is if both of you run out of lives simultaneously which leads to some really tense moments.

2P gaming is co-op with competitive scoring, when you pop enemies the drop items to collect for points and power ups and various things drop/float into the levels. Some of the levels are much easier with a team-mate because you can do things like boost jumping off your own bubbles, to get to places it seems at face value like you shouldn't and that's much easier with someone blowing bubbles for you rather than timing your own bubble blowing and jumping like you need to one some of the more complicated later levels in single player mode.

The enemies on each level appear and move in the same pattern each time and on a loop, and you have a brief period to set yourself up, so you can pre-empt the sequences you remember to make your lives easier and maximise your score (though as you proceed the increasing complexity of the level design protects against that to an extent).

Each level has a time limit, once that is reached a giant untrappable boss enemy appears on the screen and slowly moves towards you in short bursts, slowly speeding up. You have a period of grace to finish the level, but it gets increasingly difficult encouraging you to play fairly fast but usually not manically so.

Look out for the flask/carafe special item in particular, also the umbrella. The bow tie and the shoes are also very handy.
(Sorry, I got carried away and nerded out here).

Oegyein

Wanted alien fugitive
Umbration

Duality

I was actually asking Tee about the details of his mysterious childhood NES game, but I'm glad you remember Bubble Bobble with fondly! I too am partial to it, after I heard a song about it from an obscure band called 7-Bit Hero during my indie phase in highschool

Rateus

Umbration

Velocity
I was actually asking Tee about the details of his mysterious childhood NES game, but I'm glad you remember Bubble Bobble with fondly! I too am partial to it, after I heard a song about it from an obscure band called 7-Bit Hero during my indie phase in highschool
Oh no, I got double carried away :-/ Double sorry.

Tee

Just a regular letter
Super Patron
Umbration

Duality
oof. Any chance do you remember the premise or the gameplay?
Yes

It's starts with some side scrolling spaceship combat and the you have some metroid-ish space station combat/exploration. You then destroy the core to the base and have to get out before it explodes.

I have no idea if that is the whole game or just a single level but I feel the later.

Additionally I think we had to use one of those extender things to pay the game but I may be wrong.

Rue

High Priestess of Taco Bell
Umbration

Duality
sooo is anyone playing palworld?

Oegyein

Wanted alien fugitive
Umbration

Duality
sooo is anyone playing palworld?
I'm trying to hold back on spending money, but I took a look at the steam page last night and it's the funniest thing I've ever seen.

From what I gather by the images alone, Palworld is an open world pokemon style creature capture game about fun, friendship, and the second amendment. Fight and train your monsters to be your best friends and companions, or put them on an assembly line to work as your unpaid factory laborers!

What I find funniest is probably how you can tell which "Pals" are meant to be which Pokemon. It doesn't have the vibe of knockoff pokemon as much as it does a parody that knows exactly what it's doing. It's less "What? Pikachu? This is original own brand pocket monster kipachu!" and more "Yeah, that's an Electabuzz holding a minigun, but we can't call it that because Nintendo lawyers are brutal".

Rue

High Priestess of Taco Bell
Umbration

Duality
I'm trying to hold back on spending money, but I took a look at the steam page last night and it's the funniest thing I've ever seen.

From what I gather by the images alone, Palworld is an open world pokemon style creature capture game about fun, friendship, and the second amendment. Fight and train your monsters to be your best friends and companions, or put them on an assembly line to work as your unpaid factory laborers!

What I find funniest is probably how you can tell which "Pals" are meant to be which Pokemon. It doesn't have the vibe of knockoff pokemon as much as it does a parody that knows exactly what it's doing. It's less "What? Pikachu? This is original own brand pocket monster kipachu!" and more "Yeah, that's an Electabuzz holding a minigun, but we can't call it that because Nintendo lawyers are brutal".
I also didn't want to spend the money lmao, but I found out you can also capture people in the not-pokeballs, and I was instantly sold

Zules

maybe Exvulnerum wasn't a mistake
Admin
Umbration

Caprice
@erm_yeah Yay!

Here are my initial thoughts, and keep in mind that I'm not anywhere close to an expert so folks who are more knowledgeable or competitive-level could probably help out way more, but here's what I see:
  • If you have Bibarel, it's possible you don't need the Gift energies, which don't work with the Dark Patch engine anyway or assist Darkrai VStar's Dark Pulse. Up to you if you want to keep them or replace them with something more useful.
  • The way people KO me with Alolan Raticate is by pairing it with Brute Bonnet, who can poison from the bench (if it has the Ancient Booster Energy Capsule). This means Super Fang can kill pretty much any pokemon--which is really strong! Double Turbo energies might help you here since it'll allow you to get to Super Fang faster with no drawback (normally Double Turbo Energy subtract 20 damage from your attack but I'm at least PRETTY sure it doesn't apply with Super Fang.)
  • I'm wondering if Energy Retrieval is somewhat unhelpful/redundant since you have the Dark Patches that can accelerate energy better and operate from cards in the discard pile. Cycling the patches back into play with Darkrai Vstar's ability is important of course, but you could maybe consider adding the supporter Cyllene to get Dark Patches back into play again. I haven't really seen people doing that with her but could be good.
  • As for your regular Absol, since it works best with a tool card, you might consider using a different tool rather than Exp Share (which is fine to use here but)--if you use Bravery Charm or Luxurious Cape, you could allow Absol to survive a little bit longer which might be what you want to do since Absol is what the deck is all about. You could also try Defiance Band on her, which would allow her to do 110 damage if the opponent is ahead. Spirit Mark/Cursed Duster are also interesting options. They could synergize nicely with Absol ex.
  • Since we're talking Tool Cards, Forest Seal Stone could work with Darkrai V. It's a great card that lets you search for any card you need. It would mean you can't use Star Abyss, but it might be nice to have options.
  • Since we're talking Tool Cards, Arven is a really great card. You can search for the Tool you need, and also you can grab any Dark Patches or Nest Balls you might need.
  • Hisuian Heavy Ball will let you grab basics out of your prize cards. I feel like it's a nice addition to any deck, especially since some of your basics don't have any duplicates.
  • It could be nice to include a stadium in case you need to knock out one that is helping your opponent too much or hurting you. Primordial Altar might be interesting since you could perhaps chain it with Future Sight or knowing when to use Trekking Shoes. Alternatively, any "search for Pokemon" stadium could help in case Future Sight reveals that your upcoming cards are useless. Then using a stadium like that would shuffle your deck into hopefully something better. (But there are also a lot of supporters/items that do that, so probably not necessary.)
  • Absol ex seems like it would pair extremely well with Iono or Roxanne in the late game (especially Roxanne), or maybe Judge (which doesn't activate Cursed Slug but comes close). You could actually think about doing a combo of Judge and the Krookodile card that has the ability "Bully of the Sands." That would enable Cursed Slug in the early game, if you're able to get the combo set up. If the combo works really well, you could even consider adding in Seething Currents Kingdra into your deck which can do a Judge-like action via its ability. That might take up too much space though.
Anyway, those were some of my thoughts; hope you find some part of that helpful!

Zules

maybe Exvulnerum wasn't a mistake
Admin
Umbration

Caprice
Oh also, if you're finding that the Professor's Researches are making you discard useful pokemon too often, Super Rod is a friend.