Best Character

Avidro

Deimon Master
Admin
Umbration

Corporeality
"So I- ahem, I think I'll leave his boots for now, but..."

Carefully, the Supreme Summoner kneels down and undoes the cloak adorning the Deimon Master's unconscious frame. A gust of wind tugs at the cloak, as if to claim the empty garment for itself, but Jimothy's grip holds firm. With a swish and a flick, he rises to his feet, the edge of the cloak fluttering at his heel. The crescent-embossed clasp on his collar flashes unnaturally bright under the cloud-obscured moon as he unconsciously corrects his posture, transforming his slumped and hesitant demeanor to one of tranquil confidence. He looks around at his fellow summoners and questants, and lowers his hood.

"How do I look?"
No one responds, perhaps out of shock at the Deimon Master's magically relayed message.

Finally, Hector squeaks out a compliment:

"You look amazing, Jim. Um... but what does this mean, exactly? Are you the new Deimon Master?"

Cassandra also snaps out of her reverie at hearing Hector's words, namely the question that she herself had been wondering about.

"Well, Jimothy... I guess you really do know how all this magic stuff works, after all. I think this—" She offers the moon-tipped cane to the Supreme Summoner once again. "—belongs to you, now. Don't do anything crazy with it, you hear?"

Jimothy

Rogue Chemist, Supreme Summoner
Umbration

Radiance
Jimothy grinned as he accepted the proffered staff. "Crazy? Me? I wouldn't dream of it. Have a good night, everyone!" he said, before promptly stepping back and driving the tip of the cane into the symbol of Radiance traced onto the ground. A ray of sunlight burst upward from the cane, drawing the eyes of all present. When their gazes were at last torn away from the supernatural sight, they were met with naught but the sight of their respective homes, and across Amathae, a single, puzzled cry rang from several throats.

"What the hell just happened?"

Many nights later...

A gust of wind whooooned through a cloudless twilit sky. The last lone hot dog vendor whistled his song as he carted away his doggone good treats; the wind's eerie consistency had driven all his customers indoors to await the day. A perfunctory glance down a nearby alley would have betrayed a glimpse of silver, twinkling in the light of the full moon, but no such glance was taken. Instead, the vendor whistled his way out of relevant canon.

Satisfied that the coast was, at last, clear, Jimothy slipped out of the alleyway and down the long street, a street which had once terminated in a glorious monument, but now led to a barren expanse of dirt, clay, and huge chunks of marble. Glancing back, he saw several familiar faces slip in behind him as he walked toward the ruins of the Penn Visla Monument. In each summoner's hand was a poster, on which was painted a crescent moon, a stone statue, and a date. Summoner Pantsworthy had never been one for subtlety.

Jimothy

Umbration

Radiance

Avidro

Deimon Master
Admin
Umbration

Corporeality
ATTENTION:
The Combat Phase for the current Umbra Rumble will now last 14 days instead of 7.

The Combat Phase will end on Monday, Aug. 30th, 2021 at 9:09 PM CST.

Summoner Jimothy requested an extension from me, and in light of the unusual Setup Phase of this particular Rumble, his extension request has been granted.

Please, do not hesitate to reach out to me with any further requests.

TheJLT

All Know It
Umbration

Cognizance
What good is an extension of time if there is no interaction? 0(interactions) * 10000(years) = 0.

Val

Random Pegasus
Super Patron
Umbration

Cosmos
[We're working on it. We have to figure out everything ourselves, it caught some of us in a bit of a bad time and one participant hasn't been there for 2 weeks, so this is more difficult than usual. Please stand by]

Val

Random Pegasus
Super Patron
Umbration

Cosmos
Slipping into the street, keeping several paces behind Jimothy, was Val.

After the unexpected events at the last Rumble, he had been teleported to his little home, in the outskirts of Calit. After deciding that he would not make his way back unless there was a damn good reason to make the trip, he had summonned a new deimon, to help him gather any information regarding a Rumble or his fellow Summonners.

And finally, after many moons, the deimon came back to him with a peculiar poster...

Arriving at the ruins of the monument, he made his way next to Jimothy.
"I don't know if I should be happy or angry to see your face again, Jim..."
Glancing away, he noticed a dark raven landing on the edge of a nearby roof, observing the scene.
"So, are you going to tell us why you brought us here?"

Jimothy

Umbration

Radiance
The wind picked up in intensity as they walked, compensating for the absence of life along that barren street. "You mean you don't know? We're here..." Jimothy turned, walking backwards to wiggle his eyebrows at Val."...to Rumble."

As they approached the center of the ruined monument, Jimothy, backlit by the full moon above, slowed to a halt in a small clearing. The ground was scraped bare, and the surrounding marble was stained with patches of brown dirt, as if recently moved to accommodate a quartet of intruders. The shattered monument howled in the wind.

"Tonight, I plan to see how much of the Deimon Master's power originates from himself, and how much from these accoutrements entrusted to me. Tonight, we will do precisely so with an

Umbra-vs.-Umbra-style
Umbra Rumble.

"I trust that you all prepared at least one combat-ready deimon before leaving your homes tonight. None of you struck me as foolish or careless individuals.

"Let's see what Show-and-Tell offers up today, shall we?"

Umbration

Innervation
A summoning circle is drawn with a staff from a figure from the shadows of the arena. The circle glows with energy that rises to a central point, enveloping the arena with a central light source before finally the light breaks from the inside, revealing... a squirrel.

"Hey, kids, I got-- oh. Oh, uncle. ...Did someone replace my swear with the term of a family member, what the second cousin is this-"

Avidro

Deimon Master
Admin
Umbration

Corporeality
ATTENTION:
The Combat Phase for the current Umbra Rumble will now last 40 days instead of 14.

The Combat Phase will end on Saturday, Sep. 25th, 2021 at 9:09 PM CST.

This has been an uncertain start to a Rumble, for certain.

Hopefully, expanding the timeframe for the Combat Phase will give all of us participants the necessary breathing room for our respective talents to shine. Barring some unforeseen disaster, expect this to be the final deadline extension for the current Combat Phase.

Once again, please do not hesitate to reach out to me with any comments, questions, or requests.

Jimothy

Umbration

Radiance
Complete side note: in case we were unsure whether Gimbyre's stinger would have actually pierced Tezcatlipoca's head, it turns out that the tip of a scorpion's stinger (as well as the ends of their claws) are actually biologically reinforced with iron and nickel that they have digested. Just a fun fact I recently discovered.

Val

Random Pegasus
Super Patron
Umbration

Cosmos
"Umbra vs Umbra, huh? Well, this could certainly be interesting..."
As Elliot finishes summonning his deimon, Val's eyes settle upon the small squirrel
"Aww, how cute!"
Looking up to the sky, he calls out to the wind.
"Ezri! Come here please!"
After a few quiet seconds, a raven lands on his shoulder.
"There you are! Why don't you introduce yourself to everyone?"

The raven takes off with a jump and a flap of wings, climbing a few meters into the air and landing on a nearby marble pillar.
As soon as it landed, something cracked, and the raven began to grow in size, glowing with a strange blue light. Its wings became longer and thinner, slowly changing color to turn to a translucent orange. Meanwhile, dark blue chitin plates grew on its body, slowly covering it, while the body rearranged and grew two extra pair of insect legs.
After a few seconds, and with a final crack, the transformation ended, and in place of the raven now stood a massive insect: an enormous tarentula hawk wasp.

Buzzing its wings, it took off from the pillar and started flying aggressively towards the quartet of summonners, only to stop just a few centimeters in front of Jimothy's face.
Then, in a flash of blue light, the giant wasp disappeared, replaced by a little girl, who looked barely older than 10, with dark blue eyes and ginger hair.

Looking up, she started excitedly talking.
"Hi! I'm Ezri! I'm super excited to meet you! What's your name? Are you summoners too? The little squirrel deimon is so cute! Can I play with him? Pleasepleaseplease?"

The Summoned

Sandwiches Abound!
Umbration

Corporeality
"Alright well if we're going to do this we might as well start"
Walking into a more open space [Insert Name here] muttered a few words and tossed a cookie into the air.
*CHOMP*
Right on cue, a large light blue dragon materialized munching on a most meticulously made morsel.
"Alright you have to stop doing this. You know I have to cut back on these things."
"Oh quit whining. You're going to burn it off in a bit."
"We're doing this again? ok, but this time I'm just going to eat the..."
"NO! You are not allowed to eat the other summoners again."
"But did you see the look on that old ladies face? It was priceless!"
Sigh "look just try to stand there and look menacing or something. I don't know"
Looking over at the other summoners and summoned creatures the dragon spoke up
"Hey, I'm Svell. Nice to meet you. Yes I understand the joke there. It's not necessary."

TheJLT

All Know It
Umbration

Cognizance
>:}
As you can see, I am smiling maliciously.

Jimothy

Umbration

Radiance
Jimothy nodded a greeting to each deimon in turn, eyebrows raising at the sight of the enormous Innervation dragon.

I could take him.
I'm sure you could. Wow, so this is how Syril felt when I summoned you way back in the first Rumble. Yikes. Now, let's see...

"Wonderful. One moment, please." Jimothy reaches into his coat pocket and pulls out a small piglet, tapping each deimon with it.

Avidro

Deimon Master
Admin
Umbration

Corporeality
Hey friends! @Jimothy @Val @Smiley100P @The Summoned!

Boy, I really dropped the ball on this one, didn't I? I'm really sorry about my prolonged absence. In light of the extraordinarily confusing circumstances, I feel like you all gave a tremendous effort (after I finally worked up the courage to open the thread and see what my boneheaded idea actually wrought, haha...ha... :chagrinedamber: )!

So, in light of the weirdness of trying to pull off a Rumble without a full-fledged DM, I want to reward each one of you for playing along and giving it a real effort. Obviously, I didn't stick to the schedule for this one, so I'm wondering if you all would be willing to give this another shot, in a timeframe that works well for everyone. If so, I promise to stick around and write a proper narrative from your posts, as usual.

As always, you can continue with the version of events that has already been put forth, or take the initiative to try and craft something better.

What do you all think? Would you like to get this one off to a proper start, and if so, which upcoming week works best for you?

Thank you for your patience with me so far!!

Jimothy

Umbration

Radiance
Hey friends! @Jimothy @Val @Smiley100P @The Summoned!

Boy, I really dropped the ball on this one, didn't I? I'm really sorry about my prolonged absence. In light of the extraordinarily confusing circumstances, I feel like you all gave a tremendous effort (after I finally worked up the courage to open the thread and see what my boneheaded idea actually wrought, haha...ha... :chagrinedamber: )!

So, in light of the weirdness of trying to pull off a Rumble without a full-fledged DM, I want to reward each one of you for playing along and giving it a real effort. Obviously, I didn't stick to the schedule for this one, so I'm wondering if you all would be willing to give this another shot, in a timeframe that works well for everyone. If so, I promise to stick around and write a proper narrative from your posts, as usual.

As always, you can continue with the version of events that has already been put forth, or take the initiative to try and craft something better.

What do you all think? Would you like to get this one off to a proper start, and if so, which upcoming week works best for you?

Thank you for your patience with me so far!!
I'm always down for a rumble! I don't know how winter holidays work for everyone else, but I just finished my first ever piece of contract work, and am free to Rumble through December!

Avidro

Deimon Master
Admin
Umbration

Corporeality
I'm always down for a rumble! I don't know how winter holidays work for everyone else, but I just finished my first ever piece of contract work, and am free to Rumble through December!
Nice! Anyone else? :)

Syril Dawntreader

Thane of Fife
Umbration

Innervation
I just closed the show I was working on that prevented me from participating last round so I should be good if there is another.

Jimothy

Umbration

Radiance
I just closed the show I was working on that prevented me from participating last round so I should be good if there is another.
I can't wait to go another round with my Rumble rival! Also, what was the show?