"Today I Learnt"

Rue

All Your Base Are Belong To Us
Umbration

Duality
TIL there are more kinds of ketchup than just tomato ketchup, and tomato ketchup isn't even the original its just the one that's the most popular today.
:backupamber:

Marken

person guy
Umbration

Radiance
today within the past month i learned realized:
green-land is named for being green
ice-land is named for being icy
the nether-lands are named for being low (nether)

ire-land must therefore be named for being ireful (angry)

Oegyein

Wanted alien fugitive
Super Patron
Umbration

Duality
today within the past month i learned realized:
ice-land is named for being icy
the nether-lands are named for being low (nether)

ire-land must therefore be named for being ireful (angry)
As an Irishman I can confirm we are very angry at the Brits.

(Jk he's cool)

BleepBloopBeep

Captain, Professor Maybe? Into Doctor
Umbration

Cognizance
If you're referring to the autonomous Danish territory it was likely named Greenland to try and attract settlers. That is according to two Norse sources from the 13th century regarding events between 970-1030. One of the sources claims it took about two years to find a suitable place to settle.

Ireland is named after a the Gaelic matron goddess Ériu, which has developed over time to become Eire.

Oegyein

Wanted alien fugitive
Super Patron
Umbration

Duality
If you're referring to the autonomous Danish territory it was likely named Greenland to try and attract settlers. That is according to two Norse sources from the 13th century regarding events between 970-1030. One of the sources claims it took about two years to find a suitable place to settle.

Ireland is named after a the Gaelic matron goddess Ériu, which has developed over time to become Eire.
Speaking of Irish deities, the Irish goddess Maeve (Medb, the Irish goddess of love and intoxication) was killed by an apple thrown from some kid's slingshot.

We have fun mythology.

Marken

person guy
Umbration

Radiance

i knew most of that already

the greenland thing was an oversimplification

the ireland thing was a joke

Oegyein

Wanted alien fugitive
Super Patron
Umbration

Duality
TIL that the requirements to be the Pope are to be a Male of pious Catholic faith, elected by the conclave.

So technically, if elected, Doom guy is eligible for Pope.

EstherTb

Goddess of Fire
Umbration

Duality
So I was asked to make a 2 hour upbeat music playlist...TIL that I listen to mostly instrumental and anime music. I'm not surprised by this too much, but everyone on the volleyball team will be. XD

Tee

He who doth float down the stream
Super Patron
Umbration

Duality
There is an island near Ireland that has wallabies on it. Apparently it was a Tasmanian species that was taken over in hopes of being in a zoo but the zoo never went ahead. So they released them onto the island and they flourished. Noone really knows how many of them there are there now.

Oegyein

Wanted alien fugitive
Super Patron
Umbration

Duality
There is an island near Ireland that has wallabies on it. Apparently it was a Tasmanian species that was taken over in hopes of being in a zoo but the zoo never went ahead. So they released them onto the island and they flourished. Noone really knows how many of them there are there now.
TIL that I forgot what wallabies were for a sec

Rue

All Your Base Are Belong To Us
Umbration

Duality
TIL that ceiling fans can spin two different directions, and ours has been set to the wrong one for the past 2 summers :notokay:

Marken

person guy
Umbration

Radiance

Oegyein

Wanted alien fugitive
Super Patron
Umbration

Duality
Today I remembered that "Beer can" in a British accent, sounds like "Bacon" in a Jamaican accent.

The Summoned

Sandwiches Abound!
Umbration

Corporeality
TIL that electrocuting chronic wounds, which haven't healed for years, can heal them in a few weeks.
source

EstherTb

Goddess of Fire
Umbration

Duality
TIL that possums and opossums are actually different animals and opossums are not a word that Zules made up for Exvulnerum :eveyfacepalm:

possum

opossum

TheJLT

The Bequeather of Sand
Umbration

Cognizance