The Mediocre Pokemon Thread

Oegyein

Wanted alien fugitive
Umbration

Duality
This thread exists for the sole purpose of casting light on pokemon you believe have been misjudged in the eyes of the public, because who honestly chose Charizard for his stats and not because he was a giant flipping fire-lizard? In your post, you can either explain why a pokemon is better than it's damned for, or worse than what it's venerated for. Try to keep rage to a minimum ^^;

Give yourself 1 figurative pokecoin for every good point you make about your chosen pocket monster, you may make one poke-post per day, in order to avoid inflation. What does this figurative currency do? Good question! I'm still trying t figure that out!

For extra points, give the pokemon a name and a quick bio. Illustrations are encouraged, but not mandatory.

(This should probably be in the Gameplay Buffet, but for now it's here XD)

Last edited:

Oegyein

Wanted alien fugitive
Umbration

Duality
View attachment 705
This is Charlie. He's a Charizard. He is the result of procrastination and stubborn opinions about which starter pokemon is the best. (Spoiler alert, it's not him :D)

He enjoys French-pressed coffee, bluegrass music, and bathrobes. Sometimes he buys newspapers just to cut out the comic strips and paste them on his walls. His favorites are the Calvin and Hobbes ones.
Reposting here, for relevance sake

Tee

He who doth float down the stream
Super Patron
Umbration

Duality
Pikachu is useless and pathetic. Always evolve to raichu as soon as possible.

Reactions: Rue

BleepBloopBeep

Captain, Professor Maybe? Into Doctor
Umbration

Cognizance
In the early games Golem is a hit absorbing beast. Especially useful if your preferred pokemon is in need of healing.
Edit: I was just playing yellow and realised he can learn fire blast for some reason.

Last edited:

Oegyein

Wanted alien fugitive
Umbration

Duality
Changed the thread a bit because I thought the original was a bit too negative. Sorry about that ^^;

Avidro

Hiatus Master
Admin
Umbration

Corporeality
Unown is actually pretty awesome, despite its cringeworthy stats, non-existent movepool, and gimmicky nature.

Why, you ask? First, because I remember having a blast in Pokemon Silver back in the day, exploring the Ruins of Alph to unlock all 26 Unown forms, then transcribing all the Unown shapes on paper to attempt to decipher which letter each one corresponded with. (Yep, I was even more of a huge nerd back then.)

Second, because of this Pokemon card which @Zules revealed after opening a booster pack in TCGO yesterday:

For those who aren't familiar with the Pokemon Trading Card Game, that ability essentially means that if you can somehow draw over half the cards in your entire deck without playing or discarding any of them, you win. That's such a fun and quirky win condition and I love it.

BleepBloopBeep

Umbration

Cognizance
Why, you ask? First, because I remember having a blast in Pokemon Silver back in the day, exploring the Ruins of Alph to unlock all 26 Unown forms, then transcribing all the Unown shapes on paper to attempt to decipher which letter each one corresponded with.
Your not alone friend, don't forget all the Wooper outside the ruins too. Adorable little piles of XP.

Oegyein

Wanted alien fugitive
Umbration

Duality
That's the pokemon version of a CEO looking at a client and thinking, "nice doing business with you, you sentient moneybag!"

BleepBloopBeep

Umbration

Cognizance
I spent 2 hours grinding on yellow yesterday for the Elite 4 because all my team were underleveled by between 10-15...

... then I gave up on that and went for it Charizard and Pikachu were instrumental in securing victory whilst Golem took hit after hit for the others to heal then wiped out half of Blue's team single handed.

Dragonite is trash in early games, don't waste your time on him 4x weakness to ice with STAB means Ice Beam or Blizzard are 1 hit kills.

Avidro

Hiatus Master
Admin
Umbration

Corporeality
I spent 2 hours grinding on yellow yesterday for the Elite 4 because all my team were underleveled by between 10-15...

... then I gave up on that and went for it Charizard and Pikachu were instrumental in securing victory whilst Golem took hit after hit for the others to heal then wiped out half of Blue's team single handed.

Dragonite is trash in early games, don't waste your time on him 4x weakness to ice with STAB means Ice Beam or Blizzard are 1 hit kills.
Oh man... this gives me flashbacks to my lone successful Nuzlocke run, which happened to be on Pokemon Yellow.

I actually didn't need to grind that much, beyond battling every single trainer I could find and never running from wild Pokemon encounters.

Remarkably, I didn't lose a single Pokemon during the Elite Four... until the Champion (I can't remember the name I chose for him at the moment) slayed my precious starting Pikachu (Nickname: Rikki, as in "Rikki Tikki Tavi") with an Ice Beam from his Cloyster.

The worst part? Rikki would have survived if that accursed clam hadn't scored a critical hit. :westembarrassed:

...Speaking of Cloyster, did you know he's actually insanely good in Red, Blue, and Yellow? That Special stat split in Gen 2 really did him no favors at all.

BleepBloopBeep

Umbration

Cognizance
Speaking of Cloyster, did you know he's actually insanely good in Red, Blue, and Yellow? That Special stat split in Gen 2 really did him no favours at all.
Same with Alakazam, but he's also EPICQUICK. Cloyster suffers from that weakness to electric in gen 1 where they are prevalent and MUCH quicker than him. Jolteon is a great counter to most flying/water types with good special and only Electrode has better speed, Jolteon is OP.

I actually didn't need to grind that much, beyond battling every single trainer I could find and never running from wild Pokemon encounters.
I really wanted a Dragonite which meant winning Dratini in the games corner and spamming the bait 'n' switch to level it up. I did the elite 4 with mostly level 48's trying to use speed and type advantages where possible and earthquake because Golem.

Rue

All Your Base Are Belong To Us
Umbration

Duality

Oegyein

Wanted alien fugitive
Umbration

Duality

In response to @Avidro 's reply to my painfully uneducated comment this recent page XD

Avidro

Hiatus Master
Admin
Umbration

Corporeality

Oegyein

Wanted alien fugitive
Umbration

Duality
Some might say it's...

Image result for soul silver

TheJLT