Sticky The Banter Thread

Oegyein

Just your average every day Alien!
Super Patron
Umbration

Duality
Part of me wonders if Avast! should be a webcomic structured in pages, like Exvulnerum, Extra, or Moxie, or whether I should stick with webtoon

Webtoon I've had the most experience with and therefore I'm most familiar with, but I'm then limited to a "Continuous scroll" structure and no control of the presentation of the domain.

A website with a page structure would give me more creative freedom, but would require more effort for the html and site building, plus I'm far less experienced with the structure.

Zules

☕☕☕☕
Admin
Umbration

Caprice
Part of me wonders if Avast! should be a webcomic structured in pages, like Exvulnerum, Extra, or Moxie, or whether I should stick with webtoon

Webtoon I've had the most experience with and therefore I'm most familiar with, but I'm then limited to a "Continuous scroll" structure and no control of the presentation of the domain.

A website with a page structure would give me more creative freedom, but would require more effort for the html and site building, plus I'm far less experienced with the structure.
You just brought up conundrums that rule every waking moment of my professional life so get ready

The points you brought up are insightful and important--format and ownership of content presentation--but it's important to note that there's no exclusionary factor here that would prevent you from doing both options. Lauching as a Webtoon? You can still put the exact same continuous-scroll format on a custom domain and take advantage of all the creative freedom that a custom layout affords. Launching as a traditional webcomic? You can still find pre-made content management systems to install with minimal HTML work involved. Whichever option you choose, as long as you're not locked into a contract that requires exclusivity (which Webtoons Originals entails, I'm pretty sure, but not Canvas), you can easily (VERY easily, if you think about it in advance and plan your panels accordingly) adapt the comic to both avenues, and I definitely think this is the way to go for two main reasons:

#1 Webtoons (or any other similar platform) is almost essential because these days it's extremely hard to grow your audience without making use of a pre-existing audience. I believe that traditional webcomic sites are being squashed by the existence of apps like Webtoons. There are multiple reasons for this, but it mostly comes down to:
  1. The proportion of mobile-only readers, especially among youth who are more likely to read online comics, is huge. Compared to vertical scroll, reading a page-formatted comic on a phone is like watching a modern movie on a SD ratio black-and-white TV. It just can't live up to the superior experience because everything is tiny and you have to click on tiny buttons way more often. This could turn people off easily, especially if they're already used to Webtoons
  2. Facebook has done a frightening job of replacing independent websites with Facebook-hosted Pages or groups. This has led to an increase in distrust of going to websites that aren't on the app a person already has installed, trusts, and is familiar with. Each indie webcomic website has different navigation, ad placement and safety, comment systems, and other UI features. Webtoons is the same for each Webtoon. People have grown accustomed to staying where everything is standardized. (this is just a general trend I'm aware of, and doesn't apply to everyone, of course)
The potential reader base of people who are amenable to traditional webcomic sites is shrinking, stagnating, or just plain unaccessible for the average comic creator's budget. I've spent well over a hundred dollars this year advertising on Facebook, Google ads, Comicad Network, and TopWebComics, and I've probably only gained 50-100 readers from it. Maybe less than that. maybe way less But suddenly I get a small feature on Webtoons, and I've gained over 600 subscribers in less than a week--without spending any money. The difference in reader growth results is just mind-boggling.

Main reason #2 On the other hand, operating your own website and trying to direct readers there as much as possible is also essential. I have about 1,000 subscribers on Webtoons right now, but if Webtoons were to suddenly shut down, ban my comic for some reason, or pull a YouTube and only notify subscribers about my comic sometimes, then I would lose many or ALL of those readers! Without any say in the matter! If my comic was on Webtoons exclusively, then that would be a reset to zero.,, yikes! That's why it's essential to try to gain as much control as possible over the distribution of your content via cross-platform notification methods like RSS or email lists. Social media doesn't cut it either, because they are the ones who have ultimate control over when and if your readers/subscribers/followers see your content--and the Internet changes, so that's not a solid rock to build your house on.

I have not yet tried (in earnest, at least) to funnel Webtoons readers to the main site because I want to build up more goodwill first, but then I'm absolutely going to try to lure them to my own content distribution platform with bribes of more content/pages/updates. My long-term professional survival depends on it.

So... if you can, go for both.

Of course, the "Why not both?" argument doesn't exactly solve the issue of which method should be your primary focus (and you probably need one of them to be your focus so that you don't get too overwhelmed)... There are some factors to consider, like
  • Do you ever want to print your comic as a book? Then absolutely favor the page format, paying special consideration to drawing your pages with enough DPI/resolution to look good printed
  • Do you want to one day have a chance at the massive spotlight and earnings potential of becoming a Webtoons Original? Then favoring Webtoons is the obvious choice
  • Who is the target demographic of your story? In simplest terms, the younger your anticipated readers are, the more likely you will want to focus on Webtoons, whereas the opposite is true
  • Are you able to invest any money into your comic? Publishing on Webtoons is free, whereas paying for a custom site/domain costs money
  • You brought this up already, but it's worth reiterating that you can get way more creative on a custom site with stuff like gifs, embedded videos, sudden splash pages (twice as wide), or whatever you can think of
  • Do you want to take advantage of the Webtoons commenting community or the Disqus commenting community? You can only have one or the other (or neither, but not both)
  • Honestly the comic and its plot itself will probably lend itself more to one or the other. I feel like you can get away with dialogue-heavy storytelling on Webtoons easier because it wouldn't look as weird to have (many) multiple speech bubbles in a row with no art on vertical scroll format, whereas page-formatted comics probably rely on the panel's art driving the story to a heavier degree (although you can subvert this easily since authors can do whatever they want, basically)--but stuff like presentation and how it fits with the story itself is worth considering.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask!!

Last edited:

Rue

Dazed and Confused
Umbration

Duality
Just had an earthquake a few minutes ago. My bf hopped up, grabbed his favorite cat, and ran to the front door. 😅

We really should make an actual emergency plan in case we got a big one here...

TheJLT

Oegyen's 3rd Friend
Umbration

Cognizance
I have a plan! Build a steel umbrella that is made out of tungsten.

Rue

Dazed and Confused
Umbration

Duality
I feel bad about how funny I found this part
I mean it IS pretty funny 😂
Anyway that was my perception of what happened last night. I just asked him and I guess Nala (aka his favorite) was sleeping on his desk chair in our bedroom, and when the earthquake started she freaked out and bolted out of the room, so he chased after her and picked her up til it was over and she calmed down a little bit.

I stood in the doorway of our bedroom and The Boy™ came over to me with his tail all puffed up and I just pet him til he calmed down. Thomathy who has to live outside was probably hiding or something 'cause he wasn't in the backyard when I checked.

Val

Random Pegasus
Super Patron
Umbration

Cosmos
So... I am in a picture on the French Air and Space Force's (wow new name, space ftw) social media pages.
The problem is, it's not a ceremony with hundreds of people and I'm lost in the crowd.
It's a shot with 5 dudes doing their job (aka not much)... in a restricted access room, with potentially sensitive info on the computer screens.
Who tf thought that posting this on FB, Twitter, etc. was a good idea?!

The Summoned

Sandwiches Abound!
Umbration

Corporeality
So... I am in a picture on the French Air and Space Force's (wow new name, space ftw) social media pages.
The problem is, it's not a ceremony with hundreds of people and I'm lost in the crowd.
It's a shot with 5 dudes doing their job (aka not much)... in a restricted access room, with potentially sensitive info on the computer screens.
So what your saying is that somebody is going to get fired.

TheJLT

Oegyen's 3rd Friend
Umbration

Cognizance
Today I had my first airsoft game, it was a lot of fun, I did an epic action, and we did a little photo shoot at the end, and this one had a certain meme potential.

Thus, the meme of the day, brought to you by the young STRIKE airsoft team:
View attachment 3553

I'm the dude at the back.
Yes, I actually have a head.
No, you will never see my face.
Cross referencing. AHA!

Rue

Dazed and Confused
Umbration

Duality
I meant to ask this earlier since Val mentioned getting a new car. Do you guys name your cars? and if so what do you call them?
My friends all insisted I name my car, so my first car was named Catherine after the truck in A Monster in Paris. I never named my current car because it's kind of a prick and I've never gotten over the loss of Catherine. 😢

BleepBloopBeep

Captain
Umbration

Cognizance
My friends all insisted I name my car, so my first car was named Catherine after the truck in A Monster in Paris. I never named my current car because it's kind of a prick and I've never gotten over the loss of Catherine. 😢
Who says the name has to be positive "kind of a prick" is a valid name for it or "Prick" for short.

My current car is "The Mighty Turbo Diesel". My previous car was a Fix It Again Tomorrow

Reactions: Rue

TheJLT

Oegyen's 3rd Friend
Umbration

Cognizance
If you were to create a "super power"/"Magic Spell" that was more original than most, what would you call it, and what would it do?

TheJLT

Oegyen's 3rd Friend
Umbration

Cognizance
"Hello!"- The power to cause everyone in the universe to instantly hear the equivalent of "Hello" in their natural language (telepathically)(at any time I activate it).

TheJLT

Oegyen's 3rd Friend
Umbration

Cognizance
"Really? 🤨 "- The ability to discern what is wrong with someone who says "I'm Fine".
What about when they say "I'm ok.", "Doing great!", "Don't worry about it.", or "You'll get what's coming to you!"?