Sports Sports Sports!!!

EstherTb

Goddess of Fire
Umbration

Duality
You know I never really thought of martial arts as a sport....but now that you mentioned it, it makes total sense!

BleepBloopBeep

Mind Melter
Umbration

Cognizance
All three styles have sort of merged into this one mixed style, with focus on bjj since it's the one I have the most training in.
I used to do a bit of martial arts, but I never really got into it. I always enjoyed team sports to cover up how bad I was :dontsayit:
Have you ever done any competitions, or did you just do it for leisure? And why Brazilian jujitsu over other forms?

Oegyein

King of Autumn
Umbration

Duality
Never really did it for either. At the time I had just moved from a school where I got bullied a lot, so I wanted a way of self defense for future reference. ^^

I initially wanted to do tae kwon do, but fun thing about being mixed race is that it does really weird stuff to your genes. Take kwon do requires a really light body since you'll be basically jumping around the entire time, and my weird mix of genes gave me a more stocky buff build than an agile one. Not that this typically stops people from doing it, but it definitely is more of a challenge.

Bjj on the other hand requires either a lot of weight to throw around or incredible flexibility, and, once again because of weird cross-ethnic genes, I somehow ended up with both! So it was a perfect fit!

BleepBloopBeep

Mind Melter
Umbration

Cognizance
I get that, I went through something similar myself. The difference being I was quite shy and went from somewhere I was fairly popular to the odd one with a funny voice. You seem cool to me though with a BA creative streak I'm kinda a little jealous of.

Jimothy

Rogue Chemist, Supreme Summoner
Umbration

Radiance
I'm way too lanky for martial arts, but I've started learning *quarterstaff* of all things! It'a a lot of fun, and I enjoy being able to *e x t e n d .*

BleepBloopBeep

Mind Melter
Umbration

Cognizance
Quarterstaff :normanheadscratch: sounds like a position if the Harry Potter universe did American football :semicolondee:
I've legitimately never heard of that though. Care to give is a summary?

Avidro

Deimon Master
Admin
Umbration

Corporeality
This is probably the best thread.

Quarterstaff :normanheadscratch: sounds like a position if the Harry Potter universe did American football :semicolondee:
"Quarterstaff" is, unfortunately, closer to the current staffing levels of most schools in the U.S., by my estimation. :internalstruggle:

What got you into quarterstaves, @Jimothy? Darth Maul cosplay? Friar Tuck Fan Club? Napoleon Dynamite?

Jimothy

Umbration

Radiance
I read Joachim Meyer's The Art Of Combat and just found it really cool!

BleepBloopBeep

Mind Melter
Umbration

Cognizance
I like staves cuz they're good for thwacking. There's just not enough excuses for a good thwack these days!
Golf has a lot of thwacking, its just terminally boring to watch or play. I know I've tried.

Mini-golf however is significantly more fun, but lacks the thwacks.

Oegyein

King of Autumn
Umbration

Duality
Golf has a lot of thwacking, its just terminally boring to watch or play. I know I've tried.

Mini-golf however is significantly more fun, but lacks the thwacks.
May I recommend a driving range? My dad used to take me and my brothers all the time.

You pay for a bucket of golf balls, and use a driver to just smack em as far as possible. Great for stress relief!

BleepBloopBeep

Mind Melter
Umbration

Cognizance
May I recommend a driving range?
Yeah I've been before. It just does nothing for me, I even started to play lefty whilst there. I find the running around like a mad'n in a kick about much more cathartic.

Edit: I've just realised the football season starts tomorrow with my team not playing until Saturday evening. COY Baggies!!

Last edited:

BleepBloopBeep

Mind Melter
Umbration

Cognizance
And its time for Kickoff BOING BOING!

Edit: After a really shaky first 10 minutes they came from behind to win 1-2

Last edited:

BleepBloopBeep

Mind Melter
Umbration

Cognizance
Well I realised that I haven't shared my various excursions into the world of sports, so I thought I'd give you a rundown of various one's I've played/participated in over the years. I did use to compete in some but I don't have the time or skill to do them more than recreationally now.
Here's the list:
Football, Cricket, Rugby, Golf, Sailing, Rowing, Kayaking, Abseiling, Rock Climbing, Cycling, Javelin, Paddle-boarding, Karate, Dodge ball, Cross country running, Badminton, Tennis, Archery, Fencing and Motorsports.​

There's probably more I've forgotten about but they don't matter too much. Feel free to ask about any of them, most have a story or two attached some of which are pretty weird.

Avidro

Deimon Master
Admin
Umbration

Corporeality
Ooh! Ooh! Rock climbing! I'm all about that life!

Something about climbing against that tingling sense of the danger of falling really excites me! Plus, every wall or crag is like its own puzzle to solve, and the solution changes based on your physique and your skill level! Exclamation points!

What kind of rock climbing did you do, Bleep? I've done both indoor and outdoor, and I like both, but indoor stresses me out more because of all the other people watching me 😅

BleepBloopBeep

Mind Melter
Umbration

Cognizance
I've done a bit of both, but I only really have access to indoor venues where I live. I tried outdoor when I was younger but didn't really have the upper body strength to hold my weight too well. Then about 5 years ago I went to visit a friend who's in the armed forces and lives on base. He'd just bought a car and wanted me to check over the underside. Whilst there we were in the rec area and they had a machine that was essentially a climbing wall on a belt and we decided to have a bet as to who could stay on there the longest (as you do, loser has to do a forfeit). Where I discovered I now wasn't half-bad at it thanks to all the physical work at my job.

I try to get out and do some outdoor climbing when I'm off but the weather doesn't permit that too often. It's not like Britain is famous for its glorious climate, more the grey and miserable nature of it.

Here's my take on the people watching; they're not judging you but observing both your route and technique, in order for them to better map their path. Its a study session more than anything. I also have an innate ability to block out almost everything outside of the task at hand, which helps.

Avidro

Deimon Master
Admin
Umbration

Corporeality
I haven't been rock climbing in over a year; the last time I tried to go, I literally had a panic attack in my car in the climbing gym's parking lot and went home feeling defeated. So yeah, that people watching part of it has really bothered me in the past.

However! I am in a much better place now, mentally, emotionally, socially, and spiritually, so I'd be really eager to take another crack at it! Texas is not known for many natural rock climbing destinations, unfortunately, so I'll have to try the gym again soon.

BleepBloopBeep

Mind Melter
Umbration

Cognizance
I used to have crippling levels of anxiety over all manners of things. Then I had an epiphany, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I know a lot of people think I'm mad if they only meet me for a day or so (thanks to my brother) but the ones I see every day know I'm just not afraid to do what I want to. I sing and dance at work in full view of the street, I've danced on a pole on a night out and I do all sorts of things I wouldn't have done without someone else backing me up beforehand.

It's like when I went paddle boarding. I can't surf, I'm not a particularly strong swimmer and have little to no sense of balance. I knew full well I'd be making a fool of myself. But those people aren't the ones that matter so why should it bother me, I rocked that wet-suit and fell in to my hearts content. Then an hour and a half later I felt great for doing something fun for myself.

Jimothy

Umbration

Radiance
I used to have crippling levels of anxiety over all manners of things. Then I had an epiphany, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I know a lot of people think I'm mad if they only meet me for a day or so (thanks to my brother) but the ones I see every day know I'm just not afraid to do what I want to. I sing and dance at work in full view of the street, I've danced on a pole on a night out and I do all sorts of things I wouldn't have done without someone else backing me up beforehand.

It's like when I went paddle boarding. I can't surf, I'm not a particularly strong swimmer and have little to no sense of balance. I knew full well I'd be making a fool of myself. But those people aren't the ones that matter so why should it bother me, I rocked that wet-suit and fell in to my hearts content. Then an hour and a half later I felt great for doing something fun for myself.
Holy moly. I've actually been slowly working toward that same epiphanic state for a while now, which probably means I have yet to achieve said epiphany. Self-expression is the truest form of irony.

BleepBloopBeep

Mind Melter
Umbration

Cognizance
Holy moly. I've actually been slowly working toward that same epiphanic state for a while now, which probably means I have yet to achieve said epiphany. Self-expression is the truest form of irony.
Once you do you'll feel so much better. It makes the world so much less stressful too. I know it's a bit much for some, but most people I meet take it as an opportunity to express themselves as well. The main problem I have now is I lack a natural filter for the things I say (which is why it takes so long to write something sometimes, having to reapply a filter).