Regional Differences

Tee

Holder of dice
Super Patron
Umbration

Duality
Is 'Come Dine With Me' a thing in the US? Because if it isn't, then much like Taskmaster you guys are missing out big time.
Me and my wife love taskmaster so much. It was randomly on one of our tv channels for a little bit and we were like "Need more Britishness!".

So we got a VPN, pretend to be in northern Ireland so we can watch taskmaster via channel 4's website. Shame they region lock it to UK. Went with Ireland as they get less ads.

My life goals list has now expanded:

1. Be on an episode of would I lie to you.
2. Be on an season of Taskmaster.

All I have to do is become a well known comedian.

Oegyein

Wanted alien fugitive
Umbration

Duality
Me and my wife love taskmaster so much. It was randomly on one of our tv channels for a little bit and we were like "Need more Britishness!".

So we got a VPN, pretend to be in northern Ireland so we can watch taskmaster via channel 4's website. Shame they region lock it to UK. Went with Ireland as they get less ads.

Ah, north Ireland, the fake ireland.

BleepBloopBeep

Captain, Professor Maybe? Into Doctor
Umbration

Cognizance
I don't know what that is
Then you my dear have been missing out. Come Dine With Me is a show where people compete to host the best dinner party. They each host and score each others nights in secret, then at the final party the host has to announce the results.

It would have to be an episode with Bob Mortimer for WILTY? I would recommend Qi (BBC), 8 out of 10 Cats does countdown (channel 4) for other panel show tomfoolery.

P.s. Whilst on Channel 4 check out Father Ted if you haven't seen it. Whilst its approaching 30 yrs old it's still one of the funniest shows I've seen.

Last edited:

TheJLT

This Time I'm "Spooky".
Umbration

Cognizance

Zules

☕☕🤹‍♀️☕☕
Admin
Umbration

Caprice
Saw this today

Rue

All Your Base Are Belong To Us
Umbration

Duality
Because a friend asked me about this;

Do you say "cabinets" or "cupboards"?

Oegyein

Wanted alien fugitive
Umbration

Duality

I say both. Esther made fun of me for using cupboards though 🥲

BleepBloopBeep

Umbration

Cognizance

Depends, to me, they're two different things (could just be a w' mid's thing). A cupboard has opaque doors, a cabinet has glass doors (or a window in the door).
And they didn't even mention all the free 'u's you'd be getting.

Zules

☕☕🤹‍♀️☕☕
Admin
Umbration

Caprice

"Cupboard" sounds very strange to my ear.

Reactions: Rue

Rue

All Your Base Are Belong To Us
Umbration

Duality
Interesting. Veeeerrrryyyy interesting!

So personally I use cupboard most of the time. I say cabinet too, just not that often.
My (irl from back home) friend asked me if I ever say cupboard because her boyfriend thought it was weird. And like I said, yes almost always. So I started to wonder if it might be a regional thing, so I asked if her boyfriend was from the central valley like we are, but NOPE he's from Minnesota apparently!
I asked my boyfriend too, he uses cabinet. But he's also ESL so that might be a bigger influence on the vernacular than the region (SoCal).
I'm extra interested to hear from Marken and Doc since they're from around the same area as me.

And the more I think on this, the more I feel like cupboard is a very catch-all term. If I were to say cabinet, I'd be referring only to the ones on the walls, never the ones that are below the counter, for those I'd only say cupboard. I also may rarely use cupboard when referring to our pantry.

Oegyein

Wanted alien fugitive
Umbration

Duality
Interesting. Veeeerrrryyyy interesting!

So personally I use cupboard most of the time. I say cabinet too, just not that often.
My (irl from back home) friend asked me if I ever say cupboard because her boyfriend thought it was weird. And like I said, yes almost always. So I started to wonder if it might be a regional thing, so I asked if her boyfriend was from the central valley like we are, but NOPE he's from Minnesota apparently!
I asked my boyfriend too, he uses cabinet. But he's also ESL so that might be a bigger influence on the vernacular than the region (SoCal).
I'm extra interested to hear from Marken and Doc since they're from around the same area as me.

And the more I think on this, the more I feel like cupboard is a very catch-all term. If I were to say cabinet, I'd be referring only to the ones on the walls, never the ones that are below the counter, for those I'd only say cupboard. I also may rarely use cupboard when referring to our pantry.
When I have to go through LA again in February, I'll ask every rando I walk past what they call it

Zules

☕☕🤹‍♀️☕☕
Admin
Umbration

Caprice
I've just learned that Grew-up-in-Georgia @Avidro says cupboard if it's a cabinet for cups or dishes

And @Airface --who is from Maryland--is like me and thinks cupboard sounds old-timey and strange.

Tee

Holder of dice
Super Patron
Umbration

Duality
To me a cabinet is usually large and free standing while a cupboard is smaller and usually part of a bigger fixture like a bench or above a stove.
I grew up on a farm with dingo problems and thus was lucky enough to be in one of the small percentage of Australian households to have a lethal murder device in the house. We kept it in a gun cabinet which was legally required to be locked when the gun was not in use. Not really relevant to the conversation just a curiosity that I remember from my childhood and something the word cabinet reminded me of.

After I left home the laws changed and the gun cabinet was required to be bolted to the floor and the ammo put into a seperate safe inside the cabinet. The dingos weren't really a problem anymore. So my dad just stopped owning a gun. He never really liked the thing anyways. Though he did teach me to shoot, which is kind of weird looking back since he didn't even teach me to shave or give me the sex talk... but I digress.

Zules

☕☕🤹‍♀️☕☕
Admin
Umbration

Caprice
Turn signal or blinker, never indicator

BleepBloopBeep

Umbration

Cognizance
Interesting. I'd never heard it that way until I visited Australia. What do you call it when you pass someone on the road?
It depends, if you pass them on the correct side, an overtake/overtaking them, on the incorrect side (illegal) would be an undertake/undertaking them. Then for motorcycles moving through stopped/slow traffic you have filtering. I am assuming you mean when travelling in the same direction.