Regional Differences

BleepBloopBeep

Captain, Professor Maybe? Into Doctor
Umbration

Cognizance
Like opening instead of sliding?
No, they swing the opposite way. In the US it's apparently common practice to fit a door so it swings towards the nearest wall (if the nearest wall is to the right you push the door to the right), whereas the opposite is true over here (nearest wall is on the right door swings to the left).

EstherTb

Goddess of Fire
Umbration

Duality
No, they swing the opposite way. In the US it's apparently common practice to fit a door so it swings towards the nearest wall (if the nearest wall is to the right you push the door to the right), whereas the opposite is true over here (nearest wall is on the right door swings to the left).
Unfortunately for me, I have no skills in architecture and can't tell you that I understand whether my door opens that way or not. Most of the doors in my house swing into the room, some are pull doors. I dunno anything about swinging to the nearest/farthest wall or any such stuff XD

Arkaquiavel

Umbration

Cosmos
Here's a top-view picture of what I understood out of this (the square is the room, the brown line is the opened door):

Oegyein

Wanted alien fugitive
Umbration

Duality
My door opens the US way. Either I'm an outlier (which I'll admit is likely given my track record) or Bleep is the weird one here and we should all ostracize him for his differences.

Marken

7 trains of thought all whirling around at once
having a door open away from the wall seems rather inconvenient. also, perpendicular and parallel are most definitely not the correct word to use for this.
~javen

BleepBloopBeep

Captain, Professor Maybe? Into Doctor
Umbration

Cognizance
Yes why wouldn't you want the door to swing towards that wall? It's out of the way and uses less space
Privacy. If you forget to lock your door when getting changed for instance. People can't see into a room without actually entering it, or opening the door past 90°.

having a door open away from the wall seems rather inconvenient. also, perpendicular and parallel are most definitely not the correct word to use for this.
Those are the terms used by DIN (Deutsches Institut für Normung), who appear to be the European authority on the subject, though it could be poor translation.

Zules

☕☕🤹‍♀️☕☕
Admin
Umbration

Caprice
Privacy. If you forget to lock your door when getting changed for instance. People can't see into a room without actually entering it, or opening the door past 90°.
Ah I was wondering what the logic was. Very interesting!

Oegyein

Wanted alien fugitive
Umbration

Duality
@Val I need some help with some French phrases! Could you please translate:

1. "I need a lawyer"

And

2. "I need an avocado"

Val

Random Pegasus
Super Patron
Umbration

Cosmos
Well, since you're asking this, you definitely know how to say that in French xD
But for everyone else who won't bother going to google translate...

1. J'ai besoin d'un avocat.

2. J'ai besoin d'un avocat.

Oegyein

Wanted alien fugitive
Umbration

Duality
Well, since you're asking this, you definitely know how to say that in French xD
But for everyone else who won't bother going to google translate...

1. J'ai besoin d'un avocat.

2. J'ai besoin d'un avocat.

Tee

Holder of dice
Super Patron
Umbration

Duality
Hey English speakers,

Minute
Minute

Bat
Bat

Fair
Fair

Lie
Lie

Just to name a few.

TheJLT

This Time I'm "Spooky".
Umbration

Cognizance
Brother, context matters. You don't say "Hold on a minute.", "Hit him with a bat.", "That's a fair.", or "Don't lie to me.". You say "Hold on a minute.", "Hit him with a bat.", "That's a fair.", and "Don't lie to me."
English is a language instead of a collection of single words. The same is true with French.

Rue

All Your Base Are Belong To Us
Umbration

Duality
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Avidro

🎼 HELLO MY GRIME-TIME GAAALLL 🎶
Admin
Umbration

Corporeality
So I was informed recently that Americans fit their doors backwards. They open to the perpendicular wall, rather than the parallel.
I just thought of you today, Bleep. The doctor's office Zules and I are in right now has two doors that open the British way. It makes this tiny room feel even more cramped. :unsure:

Reactions: Rue