Regional Differences

Rue

Dazed and Confused
Umbration

Duality
Welcome to the Regional Differences thread!!

Partially inspired by the discussion about cop cars in The Banter Thread, but also just because I am really interested in this kind of thing!

Have you traveled to a different state/country/continent where something just blew your mind? Do you have friends around the world who simply can not understand your ways? Are you curious if people elsewhere buy the same things as you? WELL COME POST IN HERE!

Here's a short list of things that I know have shocked me:
Bagged milk
Paying for public restrooms
Universal healthcare
Eggs not sold in the refrigerated section
Words/slang (like fries vs chips)
Etc.!!

BleepBloopBeep

Captain
Umbration

Cognizance
Do you guys have any etiquette regarding escalators? In London you'll get trampled if you stand on the 'wrong' side. Stand on the right walk on the left is the unwritten rule apparently. I didn't know because us uncivilised folks up north just stand on the the darn thing and let it do its job, which may have caused me to get into a rather hostile confrontation with a couple of locals.

Rue

Dazed and Confused
Umbration

Duality
Do you guys have any etiquette regarding escalators? In London you'll get trampled if you stand on the 'wrong' side. Stand on the right walk on the left is the unwritten rule apparently. I didn't know because us uncivilised folks up north just stand on the the darn thing and let it do its job, which may have caused me to get into a rather hostile confrontation with a couple of locals.
Over here in sunny California, not really! So few people even bother to walk on them in the first place. I do usually stick to the right regardless, because it feels more natural. 😂

Marken

keeper of the likes
Umbration

Radiance
in California, there aren't any "traffic lanes" like you're describing on escalators, rather, if you're walking on it, you're the crazy one.
edit: oh! haha we posted at the same time.

Reactions: Rue

Rue

Dazed and Confused
Umbration

Duality
in California, there aren't any "traffic lanes" like you're describing on escalators, rather, if you're walking on it, you're the crazy one.
edit: oh! haha we posted at the same time.
I like that we also specified California. I think a lot of people in US would just speak for their state, too, since the US is so humongous.

Val

Random Pegasus
Super Patron
Umbration

Cosmos
Yep. Here, around half the people walk up/down the escalator (including me), so we have the unwritten rule of staying on the right if you don't walk.

Oegyein

Just your average every day Alien!
Super Patron
Umbration

Duality
Yep. Here, around half the people walk up/down the escalator (including me), so we have the unwritten rule of staying on the right if you don't walk.
Yep, here as well, except every nutjob stays on the LEFT because they drive on the wrong side of the road XD

BleepBloopBeep

Captain
Umbration

Cognizance
Aha! So it's a European import which explains why it hasn't spread to the rest of the country!

Separate Hot 'n' Cold taps.

EstherTb

Best FireBender
Umbration

Duality
I'm kind of a country bumpkin so I don't really know escalator etiquette...only ever been on one ONCE.

Well I can say for sure that here in Texas our hot and cold water comes out of the same spout. As it should.

Oegyein

Super Patron
Umbration

Duality

BleepBloopBeep

Captain
Umbration

Cognizance
Well I can say for sure that here in Texas our hot and cold water comes out of the same spout. As it should.
Aight, someone take taps away from the English cuz they don't know how to act.
There's actually good reason for this, is in older houses the water comes from two separate places. The cold is from the mains supply and is drinking water, whilst hot water would be serviced by a local storage cistern often situated in the loft (attic). This caused an imbalance of pressures which meant that if incorrect taps and valves were installed one stream of water could force its way across to the other. Water bylaws prevented hot and cold water being mixed because water that had been sitting in a tank in the loft was not deemed safe to drink, because legionnaires disease is not something anyone wants. You can get mixer taps but the water still cannot mix until it has left the nozzle.

Rue

Dazed and Confused
Umbration

Duality
So something that I know is surprisingly controversial between some places....

Iced tea or hot?
Sweet tea or not?

Oegyein

Super Patron
Umbration

Duality
I actually didn't like tea until I forced myself to enjoy it, so my preferences over tea tend to be more personal than cultural.

Also, hot n sweet, (I'd say "like my girlfriend" but I'm forever alone ;u; )

Rue

Dazed and Confused
Umbration

Duality
Milk first or water first? This is make or break and I NEED your answers it will determine whether I can associate with you in future!
Actually, I rarely add milk to my tea when I make it at home 😬 (maybe only to my chamomile) but I DO love to go buy milk tea when I'm out lol...

That being said, my own answers: iced sweet tea is basically like liquid crack to me. When I have it I cant stop drinking it. 😂

Oegyein

Super Patron
Umbration

Duality
Milk first or water first? This is make or break and I NEED your answers it will determine whether I can associate with you in future!
Water, though Boba with milk is pretty good.

우유차 is rad.

EstherTb

Best FireBender
Umbration

Duality
No milk! I’ve never even thought of having tea that way...I drink hot sweet tea. That’s the only way I can enjoy it. And usually only when I’m sick

Val

Random Pegasus
Super Patron
Umbration

Cosmos
Ew tea.

Oegyein

Super Patron
Umbration

Duality
Word of advice: Force yourself to drink a mug of the vile liquid every night until you start to get desensitized. At that point, you can begin the process of tricking yourself into thinking that the lack of repulsion is synonymous with enjoyment.

That's what I did! Works a peach! :)