Quest

chaosenjoyer

You drink water, I drink anarchy
Likes received
1,736
Umbration

Cosmos
a thread for that thing that was in my signature, before I learned that there's apparently a character limit on signatures which I exceeded by many, many characters. don't get your hopes up, it's still a work in progress, i'm just putting it here so that I can continue work on it without having to worry about being unable to save.

You are in a cage within a dark forest. The key to the cage is within reach, and escape is a possibility, but you also have no recollection of how you got here or where you are. Perhaps the one who put you in this cage has answers? You could
You grab the key and insert it in the lock. With a click, the cage door opens. You step out and observe the place you're in. It appears to be a fairly standard campsite that would be used by a human. You find a few resources from inside the tent; some dried meat, a bag of trail mix, and a hunting knife. You find a backpack as well. You place the food into your bag and sheath the hunting knife at your waist. As you continue into the dark forest, you walk across an old stone structure that appears as if it used to be a temple. You know you should just
there will be more soon
, but you really want to
you step up to the entrance of the temple and hesitate briefly on the threshold. It's dark in there. Like, really dark. You assume there's probably a light source somewhere within, so you step through the entrance and begin to feel around on the walls for a lightswitch. You can't find one, so you try to leave the temple. But as you turn back to the entrance, you see a terrifying and unwelcome sight: a large, thin silhouette is blocking the door. Mischievous laughter echoes through the darkness as the thing reaches out an arm and shuts the door, cutting off daylight entirely. "One of them?" a voice whispers after a brief moment. "Are you one of them? Here to trap me? Here to free me? Can't let you trap me, can't let you lie to me. They said they'd free me but they trapped me again anyway. Can't trust you..." As the thing continues its unsettling monologue, you frantically dig through your bag for a light source. You find a flashlight and take it out. The creature suddenly grows quiet. "I don't like that sort of light," it mutters. "Keep it off of me." You figure that as long as you don't shine it directly on the creature, you'll be fine.
3rr0r 404
You point your flashlight at the source of the voice and turn it on. The whispering abruptly stops, and you see nothing there. When you turn off the flashlight, it doesn't come back. It seems as though you... deleted the creature. You feel somewhat unsettled, though, as if it's not truly gone. This might come back to bite you in the future, perhaps more literally than you realize. But either way, the door is open again, letting fresh daylight in and illuminating a completely empty room. Well, empty save for the box in the center of the room. You're filled with a mix of curiosity and dread. Will you
404 3rr0r
or
404 3rr0r
3rr0r 404
, or you could
You decide to wait it out in the cage and see who appears. After a few minutes, in walks the last person you expected to see. It's famous movie director Steven Spielberg! Wait, no, that makes no sense. It can't be him, but it really, really looks like it is. Two questions rise to the top of your mind:
there will be more soon
or
Steve laughs. "You shouldn't listen to everything you hear," he says. "I'm willing to bet you know exactly who you are." This man makes no sense at all whatsoever. Where would you have "heard" that you have no memory? Steve takes the key and unlocks the cage. "This was really more of a measure to keep you safe, rather than trap you," he explains. "There are some odd creatures around these parts. Most of them are dangerous. Some aren't, though I'll likely be the only one you meet who falls into that category. And even now, I'm not a threat only because I'm on your side. I'd be a powerful ally... if I was actually going to accompany you on your journey." You have a couple more questions:
Steve shakes his head. "This is a journey you're going to have to take alone. I can't wield the abilities required to do what you need to. Now, enough talk. You've been called here for a very specific reason. Deep within these woods, there is an element of corruption. It threatens to spread out and consume everything here, unless you stop it. However, there is a force working against you. He calls himself Iluvatar, though I suspect it is nothing more than an alias. He seeks to delete this realm and construct an entirely new one in its place. You must stop him." You're not sure if you really want to do this. It sounds dangerous. But you have to make a choice. With a deep breath, you...
404 3rr0r
You respectfully say that you're not up to the task. You'd rather just find your way home and be done with it. "You don't understand," Steve says. "You have no home in this world." He pauses for a moment. "If you really want to go, you can just leave. Is that really what you want?"
Steve gives you a blank stare. "Why are you still here?" You're not entirely sure what he's expecting you to do. After a moment of silence, he gives in. "Fine. If you really don't understand, I can just force you out of here."
[End 2- Force Stop][1 Shard collected: 768]
Steve sighs. "What is it that you want, then?" You really just want to explore a bit. If you can leave at any time, you can exit before the corruption hits. "What an incredibly selfish view," Steve says. "But I suppose you're not wrong. Do what you will."
You... do that, for some reason, much to the concern of Steven Spielberg. "Perhaps I should find someone else," he says. Turns out he doesn't need to make that choice, because the tree you ate is deathly poisonous! You are now dead. Congratulations!
[End 1- Okay, that happened][Shard collected: 523]
or
Steve chuckles. "I'm not sure who that is. It's probably a coincidence, if anything. Now, enough talk. You've been called here for a very specific reason. Deep within these woods, there is an element of corruption. It threatens to spread out and consume everything here, unless you stop it. However, there is a force working against you. He calls himself Iluvatar, though I suspect it is nothing more than an alias. He seeks to delete this realm and construct an entirely new one in its place. You must stop him." You're not sure if you really want to do this. It sounds dangerous. But you have to make a choice. With a deep breath, you...
404 3rr0r
You respectfully say that you're not up to the task. You'd rather just find your way home and be done with it. "You don't understand," Steve says. "You have no home in this world." He pauses for a moment. "If you really want to go, you can just leave. Is that really what you want?"
Steve gives you a blank stare. "Why are you still here?" You're not entirely sure what he's expecting you to do. After a moment of silence, he gives in. "Fine. If you really don't understand, I can just force you out of here."
[End 2- Force Stop][1 Shard collected: 768]
Steve sighs. "What is it that you want, then?" You really just want to explore a bit. If you can leave at any time, you can exit before the corruption hits. "What an incredibly selfish view," Steve says. "But I suppose you're not wrong. Do what you will."
You... do that, for some reason, much to the concern of Steven Spielberg. "Perhaps I should find someone else," he says. Turns out he doesn't need to make that choice, because the tree you ate is deathly poisonous! You are now dead. Congratulations!
[End 1- Okay, that happened][1 Shard collected: 523]
 
  • Like
Reactions: Val

Zules

maybe Exvulnerum wasn't a mistake
Admin
Likes received
16,401
Umbration

Caprice
In case this is helpful: The signature limit is 7,000 characters, and the post limit is 50,000 characters.
 

chaosenjoyer

You drink water, I drink anarchy
Likes received
1,736
Umbration

Cosmos
In case this is helpful: The signature limit is 7,000 characters, and the post limit is 50,000 characters.
Somehow, I don't think I'll need to worry about going over the post limit...
 
Top