"I'M EXCITED"

Itunes Helper

Umbration

Cosmos
OMG TABS IS OUT
(but the closed access version has more content tho)

Jimothy

Aspiring Reader of Chapter 13
Umbration

Radiance
About to finish Kill la Kill with my girlfriend, and I'm EXCITED!

Val

The Archer
Super Patron
Umbration

Cosmos
I'm super excited because of this little guy:

A Black Hole! We managed to take a picture of a bloody Black Hole!!!!

EstherTb

Goddess of Fire
Umbration

Duality
I'm super excited because of this little guy:

A Black Hole! We managed to take a picture of a bloody Black Hole!!!!
Isnt it suppose to suck up light? How are you suppose to take a pic of that?

TheJLT

Lusa "Arcane caster?"
I'M EXCITED TO HAVE MY ONE DAY OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .... then to go back to work for two weeks again... ;-; then to have ANOTHER DAY OFF!!!!

Jimothy

Umbration

Radiance
Isnt it suppose to suck up light? How are you suppose to take a pic of that?
Yes, which is why the center of the pic is black. However, around the event horizon exists an "accretion disk," where a whole bunch of light and matter is compressed to high temperatures and gives off light and heat. The fact that we have a picture of an extraterrestrial phenomenon that fits the description of an accretion disk means that we finally have visual proof of the existence of black holes. And that's pretty grandma cool.

Jimothy

Umbration

Radiance
I've been binging the Monogatari series, and my torrent of S2 just finished downloading, so I'm very excited! :ambernyeh:

Jimothy

Umbration

Radiance
Ghosts & bugaboos, tsundere, and neck-tilts. It's fantastic. The first series, Bakemonogatari, is a portmanteau of bakemono (ghost) and monogatari (story), so there you have it.

Val

The Archer
Super Patron
Umbration

Cosmos
Ooooh neat!
What are you racing in?

BleepBloopBeep

Mind Melter
Umbration

Cognizance
1600 Stock cars (banger racing). Not sure which car in particular as I'm subbing for a friend not taking my own.

BleepBloopBeep

Mind Melter
Umbration

Cognizance
England have just won the cricket world cup WOOO!!!!
Usually I don't care for it but it ended in a tie after 50 overs (approximately 300 bowls). Then came down to the final ball in a super over.

BleepBloopBeep

Mind Melter
Umbration

Cognizance
I think I now know how normal people feel when I ramble on about baseball! :D
Ramble to me about it if you want, I don't know the rules but I like sport in general and could be tempted to see it if it comes to the UK next year. I'm already going to the Bengals @ Rams and Texans @ Jacksonville later this year.

Avidro

Deimon Master
Admin
Umbration

Corporeality
Alright, all you really need to know is that the Houston Astros are the best; the Yankees are the greatest evil empire known to man; half the teams play in a league where pitchers are forced to bat (note: pitchers are almost universally terrible at hitting); the regular season is a marathon slog of 162 games, each lasting anywhere from 2 1/2 to 5+ hours; and baseball fans are simultaneously the smartest and most superstitious creatures in all sportsdom.

Any questions? :D

BleepBloopBeep

Mind Melter
Umbration

Cognizance
Why so many games? I thought the NBA/NHL were bad but 162!
Why force pitchers to bat? does this apply to the postseason (I'm guessing a US league and an American league merged but couldn't decide on a uniform set of rules)
Also I think its the US equivalent to cricket here, not the most glamorous sport but loved by those that watch/play it.

Avidro

Deimon Master
Admin
Umbration

Corporeality
There are 162 games because baseball fans like me can't get enough! Really though. You know about seasonal depression? It hits baseball fans even harder. Those baseball-free winter months are miserable.

Pitchers still bat in the National League because that's how the original rules were written, and a large number of fans (@Zules included) think it's more fun to watch that way. It increases the frequency and viability of bunting as a strategy, for example. Me personally, I'd rather have the designated hitter (DH), despite cutting my teeth on baseball watching the Atlanta Braves, an NL East team.

EDIT: Oh, and with regards to the postseason: the American League and National League only play against each other during the World Series, after all but one team from either league has been eliminated. In the World Series, the team with home field advantage gets to have their league's rules put into play. Therefore, if the AL Astros face the NL Dodgers in the World Series, and games 1 and 2 (and 6 and 7, if necessary) take place in Houston's Minute Maid Park, then both teams will use a designated hitter in those games. Games 3 and 4 (and 5, if necessary) would then take place in Los Angeles' Dodger Stadium, and both teams would use the "pitcher as batter" rule.

Do professional cricket players earn millions of dollars per year? If so, then yes, it's similar. There's nothing quite like the dynamic and feel of baseball to the initiated, however. Just look at the plethora of baseball cinema out there, and that should give you a good idea of how much this sport has captured the heart of America for so long. The shrinking attention span of millennials et al. has weakened its clout somewhat, but baseball is too firmly entrenched to be going anywhere. Plus, despite the diehard traditionalism inherent to baseball culture, there's a diametrically opposed but growing sect of baseball fandom called "sabermetrics" that is pushing the game in new and exciting directions, thanks to the power of statistics and critical thinking. See Brian Kenny's "Ahead of the Curve" (2015) for further reading on this subject.

Last edited: