Hello

Soooo........ I ended up here, from a guest post on Galebound webcomic. And, I kinda got hooked.

.... I have no idea what to say about myself. I'm trained as a journalist, but I work as a writer/copy editor for a Christian organization. (Being paid to make words pretty is kinda my dream. Somehow, I've convinced people I can do that well enough to be given money for it. O_o)

I love good stories – especially fantasy – and have been working on a novel for...... way too long. But the complete project reboot happened a few years ago, when I was old and wise enough to realize the original plot/story from my early teen years wasn't patchable. I actually kind of let the project drop when I started working full time as a writer, but then I discovered a webcomic called Galebound..... and then the author/artist set up a Discord Server to hang out with her and other Gb fans. And they all have writing/webcomic projects, which pushed me to pick my own project back up. :D

Which brings me to the present. Well, yesterday, at least. While I was on a work video call, I made the mistake of checking out the new Gb guest art page. And then I found myself desperately fighting to keep my face neutral and not at all exploding with insane laughter from Zules' work. xD

Zules

☕☕☕☕
Admin
Umbration

Caprice
Welcome to the forums, Jo Michelle! Thanks for joining, and I'm glad you got hooked on the comic, heheheh <w<

What's your novel about, if you want to say? :) I have a fantasy novel I've been working on for years, as well, but it's so hard to find time to edit it!! :uhh: My goal was to finish the second draft before the end of this year, but that's not gonna happen :oops:

What is it about? That's a...... complicated question. Mostly because the answer's a bit.... dynamic. It keeps changing. :amberoops: My goal right now is to actually finish a dang draft without starting over. Again. (So naturally, I'm already letting myself get distracted writing a short spinoff story from the Galebound world for one of my Gb Discord friends.)

It's set in a fantasy world.... with (right now) a magic system that is inspired by concepts of how a society can address and heal from systemic injustice, or not, and the ways that injustice destroys both the oppressed and the oppressor. That's about the only way I can encapsulate it. Right now.

Also, my sources of inspiration include Rafael Sabatini, Alexandre Dumas, Dorothy Dunnett, and assorted manga/anime.

Also, there's a lively discussion going on right now in the Discord Gb channel about your guest artwork. :amberapproves: You should come hang out, if you're not already there, lurking: Link: "Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers"

Tee

The seeker of Knowledge
Umbration

Cognizance
Welcome fellow person who is here.

I hope you find this place to your liking. Forum activity is down due to the time of year (busy busy busy) but you seem like an interesting person so I hope to see you around.

Zules

☕☕☕☕
Admin
Umbration

Caprice
@Jo Michelle Your novel sounds awesome! How close have you gotten to finishing a draft?

And I haven't been to the Galebound discord since I'm not much of a Discord user, but it sounds like I'll have to drop by! :)

How close? Pffffffff A longgggggg way from finishing. I just reached the end of a part, for one character. Now I've got to go back and trace the other characters' stories to that point. I'm trying to just work out the whole thing for each character, and then figure out how to tell it so they intertwine, rather than randomly bouncing back and forth with out a plan.

Avidro

Deimon Master
Admin
Umbration

Corporeality
A new member?? But I haven't had a chance to tidy up yet! :zulesohno:

Welcome, @Jo Michelle! I'm Zules' full-time husband, part-time assistant. College classes leave me little time to post nowadays, but you should still see me around, especially in the Voting Streak Team Challenge thread (which basically functions as our general-purpose chat thread these days).

You like making words pretty, you say? 🤔 Hmmm... would you be interested in reviving my old Haiku thread, by any chance? I loved that thread, but it didn't survive last winter's hiatus, unfortunately...

Re: Haiku thread. See, now, that would require actually being able to create Haikus. And that's above my pay grade. xD

--> I said journalist, not poet. xD

Val

Random pegasus
Super Patron
Umbration

Cosmos
Oooh, a new person !
Welcome ! :D

Jimothy

Rogue Chemist
Umbration

Radiance