Exvulnerum Album #2 - producer's log and prerelease discussion

Zules

☕☕☕☕
Admin
Umbration

Caprice
Thread for album 1

I'm setting a goal for myself to release the second album by November 1st--that would be exactly 2 years after the last one. I don't know if I can actually succeed in making this release date, but I'm hoping I can! I estimate I already have about 15 - 20% of the work done, so there's a good chunk for me to build off of but still a lot of work to go (and I still have a comic to draw, script, build 3D models for, etc.)

I actually have 16 tracks already started, and 1 additional track planned, which means I'm dealing with 17 tracks total for this album. That's a little on the large size for me, so I'm looking to cut out a few, but I don't know yet which ones will get the axe.

Here's the tracks, in no particular order because I haven't figured that out yet, with initials for names since I'm not ready to commit to titles and announce the tracks yet, and a rough estimation of how close they are to being completed:

CL - 75%
DD - 5%
D - 15%
E - 35%
EUE - 70%
EBS - 80%
WGOOC - 0%
FYH - 30%
GIM - 25%
INITE - 75%
IWT - 70%
KC - 25%
NAOTD - 60%
YP - 60%
TUF - 75%
W - 40%
YHIE - 5%

A lot of the songs, as you can see, are nearing completion, but then I have the longest song YHIE sitting there at 5%, so... still a lot of work to do!

Feel free to ask questions--I might answer with some tidbits or teasers. 😊 And be sure to listen to the first album again if you haven't lately. I'm still really proud of that one. This time around, though, of course I'm hoping to surpass it! Music isn't my main deal, so these albums probably aren't ever going to be mindblowing, but I still want to make them worthwhile and fun to listen to. :lol:

Oegyein

Wanted alien fugitive
Umbration

Duality
My predictions for the Working Titles of each track:
Chocula's Linguini
Daffy's Duck-venture
Dave
Eugene
Eugene Uppercuts Eugene
Electric Blight Sorchestra
Wow! Gus Ordered Our Chimichangas!
For Your Hinformation
Guys, I'm Melting
I'm Not Into Taco Encores
I Want Tamales
Karate Child
Not Anything Over Tamagochi Deaths
Your Porpoise?
Tamantha Uses Fritos
Wabbajack!
Your Horse Is Edible

I'm not saying these would make amazing drawing prompts, but these would make amazing drawing prompts

Zules

☕☕☕☕
Admin
Umbration

Caprice
DRAW THEM DRAW THEM DRAW THEM

Zules

☕☕☕☕
Admin
Umbration

Caprice
Just spent some time working on GIM. This one... this one is in the worst shape right now because I'm trying to sing pretty alto but I'm a whimpy soprano girl, so... I'm using a lot of production tricks to get it to sound halfway decent, while also practicing my actual singing over and over. Just cut the song, it's too hard? No, it's in my vision to start the album with this song 😭 It just brings the right kind of energy and sets the right kind of tone, so I'm determined to get it right!

Today I did, though, listen to my first couple attempts at the song, which I have saved--and it was really encouraging to see how much progress I've made :lol: Attempt #1 sounds plain wrong, attempt #2 sounds abysmal, but my current attempt has the tiniest spark of being potentially good, so... onwards!!

Oegyein

Wanted alien fugitive
Umbration

Duality
Just spent some time working on GIM. This one... this one is in the worst shape right now because I'm trying to sing pretty alto but I'm a whimpy soprano girl, so... I'm using a lot of production tricks to get it to sound halfway decent, while also practicing my actual singing over and over. Just cut the song, it's too hard? No, it's in my vision to start the album with this song 😭 It just brings the right kind of energy and sets the right kind of tone, so I'm determined to get it right!

Today I did, though, listen to my first couple attempts at the song, which I have saved--and it was really encouraging to see how much progress I've made :lol: Attempt #1 sounds plain wrong, attempt #2 sounds abysmal, but my current attempt has the tiniest spark of being potentially good, so... onwards!!
Three cheers for the track "Guy's, I'm melting"!

Zules

☕☕☕☕
Admin
Umbration

Caprice
Worked on FYH today for the first time in a LONG time. It needed some big work, so I upped the tempo, gutted and redid the bridge, and added some four-on-the-floor energy the whole way through. It's at least 50% better, but still pretty far from "good". I'm happy with where it's going though!

(Side note, I wish it didn't sound like my computer was being subjected to drowning torture when I go to export my songs)

Zules

☕☕☕☕
Admin
Umbration

Caprice
I also just knocked out some quick concept art for the album cover and I like it a lot :lol: I've already said this elsewhere, but the working title is "Making Light"

Zules

☕☕☕☕
Admin
Umbration

Caprice
Worked a little bit on D today after listening to it then hearing in my head something that needed to go in. Normally, I'll just make a note about it so I can add it later, but if it's too complex to write down then I either have to go in and add it before I forget or somehow notate it another way. I decided to open the file up and sequence it in real quick, then I "heard" something else that needed to be in there, so there was a nice little chain of progress. Alas, I don't really have much time to work on it more today. I haven't been finding much time to work on the album recently :internalstruggle:

Zules

☕☕☕☕
Admin
Umbration

Caprice
Worked for about an hour on YHIE - yay 😄 This is the one that needs the most work! Brought the draft version up to 1:26 in length - I plan to make it rather long so we're not far, but it's something.

Zules

☕☕☕☕
Admin
Umbration

Caprice
Worked for about an hour on YHIE - yay 😄 This is the one that needs the most work! Brought the draft version up to 1:26 in length - I plan to make it rather long so we're not far, but it's something.
The big success here is I keep listening to what I added because I like it so much

Zules

☕☕☕☕
Admin
Umbration

Caprice
I've decided to cut EUE - title is actually "Ends Up Ending" and it's about how first loves often don't work out. I wanted to hold onto it for the album because I really like the song and enjoy singing it, but it doesn't really fit the vibe and I don't think it would be very well-loved. So I'll save it for my own non-Exvulnerum purposes!

I'm also probably going to cut YP which makes me a lot sadder because it DOES fit the vibe and is so fun, but I don't think I'm able to produce it to the quality I'm aiming for, and it just doesn't sound great right now. It's also the only other Cygnus song. Pray for YP.

Jimothy

Rogue Chemist, Supreme Summoner
Umbration

Radiance