Dangerous Amber

Does this represent Amber properly?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EstherTb

Goddess of Fire
Umbration

Duality
I saw that thing about the daily disquis and was like I wanna do some fanart randomly because I love this comic.

Avidro

Deimon Master
Admin
Umbration

Corporeality
Ahhhhh, Esther's back!! :happyhug:

I really like this fanart! It does a great job of capturing Amber's adventurous side. It makes a good counterpoint to the current Disqus Dive incentive that Zules posted in the Exclusive Content forum. Nice work! :amberapproves:

If you're interested in constructive criticism, I can offer a few suggestions. I'm not an art expert like Zules, but I know enough to get by.

EstherTb

Goddess of Fire
Umbration

Duality
Ahhhhh, Esther's back!! :happyhug:

I really like this fanart! It does a great job of capturing Amber's adventurous side. It makes a good counterpoint to the current Disqus Dive incentive that Zules posted in the Exclusive Content forum. Nice work! :amberapproves:

If you're interested in constructive criticism, I can offer a few suggestions. I'm not an art expert like Zules, but I know enough to get by.

Hey I’m always looking to improve my art! I’d be glad to hear what you have to say!

Avidro

Deimon Master
Admin
Umbration

Corporeality
Hey I’m always looking to improve my art! I’d be glad to hear what you have to say!
Okey doke! Just two main points for you to consider:
  1. Facial structure — All faces have the same basic structure, and Amber's here is slightly off. As a rule of thumb, the eyes should both be on a horizontal line that runs about halfway between the top of the skull and bottom of the chin. Hers are somewhere in the top third, which looks a bit unnatural. Just shift them down to that midline I mentioned, make sure they're the same size and look symmetrical, and adjust the rest of her features accordingly.
  2. Typography — This is something I've studied a bit in college, and it can get fairly complicated. As such, it's hard to really pin down what exactly is off about the fonts. On the one hand, you definitely achieved the collage effect I think you were aiming for; on the other hand, they seem a little too random and unconnected. It might be because they're mainly floating in the void, sort of giving the sense of being stranded in outer space. One thing that comes to mind that might help is to visually unite all of the various quotes with some kind of transformation. For instance, picture the opening text crawl from the Star Wars movies: think of how all the text looks like it's coming up and away from the viewer. I don't know how advanced of a drawing program you're using, but if it has layers, then I'd try putting all the text on the same layer or in the same layer group, and experiment with different kinds of effects on all of them at once.
Hope this helps! What program are you using, out of curiosity?

EstherTb

Goddess of Fire
Umbration

Duality
Okey doke! Just two main points for you to consider:
  1. Facial structure — All faces have the same basic structure, and Amber's here is slightly off. As a rule of thumb, the eyes should both be on a horizontal line that runs about halfway between the top of the skull and bottom of the chin. Hers are somewhere in the top third, which looks a bit unnatural. Just shift them down to that midline I mentioned, make sure they're the same size and look symmetrical, and adjust the rest of her features accordingly.
  2. Typography — This is something I've studied a bit in college, and it can get fairly complicated. As such, it's hard to really pin down what exactly is off about the fonts. On the one hand, you definitely achieved the collage effect I think you were aiming for; on the other hand, they seem a little too random and unconnected. It might be because they're mainly floating in the void, sort of giving the sense of being stranded in outer space. One thing that comes to mind that might help is to visually unite all of the various quotes with some kind of transformation. For instance, picture the opening text crawl from the Star Wars movies: think of how all the text looks like it's coming up and away from the viewer. I don't know how advanced of a drawing program you're using, but if it has layers, then I'd try putting all the text on the same layer or in the same layer group, and experiment with different kinds of effects on all of them at once.
Hope this helps! What program are you using, out of curiosity?
Definitely helps a lot! Thanks!

The art program i use is ArtRage. It’s not something professionals really use but it came free with my Wacom tablet so I take what I got! XD

Avidro

Deimon Master
Admin
Umbration

Corporeality
Definitely helps a lot! Thanks!

The art program i use is ArtRage. It’s not something professionals really use but it came free with my Wacom tablet so I take what I got! XD
Hey, I used GIMP for years and got by just fine. Basically, all you need is a program with layers; the rest is just icing.

EstherTb

Goddess of Fire
Umbration

Duality
Lol even if I had photoshop or something like that I’ve only been drawing seriously for about 3 years. Drawing humans is still my weakness!!! 😝

Avidro

Deimon Master
Admin
Umbration

Corporeality
I'm reminded of this old picture of Amber that Zules drew, back in 2008...

Compare that to her current drawings of Amber, and you can really get a sense for how she's improved! No reason you can't do the same 👍

EstherTb

Goddess of Fire
Umbration

Duality
I think it’s safe to say that back in 2008 I wouldn’t even be on the spectrum of art...

Zules

☕☕☕☕
Admin
Umbration

Caprice
Whoa, Esther's back, dropping some fan art!!! This is awesome!

I loooove this piece! The quotes you used around her make it such an interesting piece of art to look at, and they really capture her personality! And that coloring is amazing stuff--just the right amount of shading and highlights to make her look great!!

I really like how you merged the bottom of her neck with "dangerous"; it's a creative way to finish off the bottom of a head shot. Your style is really cute, too!

Nice work, thanks for sharing! Go Wacom tablets!

EstherTb

Goddess of Fire
Umbration

Duality
Whoa, Esther's back, dropping some fan art!!! This is awesome!

I loooove this piece! The quotes you used around her make it such an interesting piece of art to look at, and they really capture her personality! And that coloring is amazing stuff--just the right amount of shading and highlights to make her look great!!

I really like how you merged the bottom of her neck with "dangerous"; it's a creative way to finish off the bottom of a head shot. Your style is really cute, too!

Nice work, thanks for sharing! Go Wacom tablets!
Thanks @Zules