Civilized Discussion of Music

Master Overlord

Internet Emperor
2017 is a year of turmoil, namely political. And if your outraged, you've come to the right places! It doesn't have to be at the current government, or even your own. Or maybe you just like hearing me talk (I know I do). So here is a list I'm compiling of the best protest songs of all time.

Revolution
The Beatles
When John Lennon took over from Macca, of course he'd be inclined to write one of their first political songs (George wrote won too but I wont get into that just yet). The use of guitar feedback is one of my favorite aspects of one of my favorite songs, and quite frankly, this song'll make you feel alright!

Born in the USA
Bruce Springsteen
One of the two worst songs to play on the 4th of July (looking at you Miley), this is actually a protest song written by The Boss about the troubles of poorer Americans in the seventies. Take note of the lyrics, and you won't end up like a Republican nominee.

Sunday Bloody Sunday
U2
If you've read any of my music oriented posts, you'll know I'm a huge fan of the band, and if you know anything about them, you'd know basically every song is either about the situations when the song was written, or Bono's wife or mom. But this song stands out from the rest. The unruly, yet sophisticated, post-punk nature of this song comes from The Troubles, an event in Northern Ireland in which Catholic Nationalists and Protestant Unionists fought in a kind of guerilla war. While it may not be fitting for disappointing leaders, it make a great marching song. Just remember, there's been a lot of talk about this next song, maybe too much talk...

Rock the Casbah
The Clash
For a punk band, they sure know how to groove. This song comes from a massive repertoire of songs, from this about the end of the world to fighting the law. But what is it about this particular song? The middle eastern themes? The video being set in Texas? Maybe it's that crazy casbah sound.

Life During Wartime
The Talking Heads
While not necessarily a protest song, it is political. I ain't foolin' around. The song revolves around themes of war (duh) and terrorism. Yes, there was terrorism before 9/11 young 'uns. Ask @Zules she's pretty old, but you didn't hear it from me. Enjoy the songs, and I'll see you later.
I'm v upset my listical hasn't gained any traction.

Master Overlord

Internet Emperor
Robert Plant almost quit Led Zep to become a kindergarten teacher when his five year old son died.

Master Overlord

Internet Emperor
My friend asked me to stop singing Wonderwall

I said maybe

Jimothy

Rogue Chemist, Supreme Summoner
Umbration

Radiance

Jimothy

Umbration

Radiance

Master Overlord

Internet Emperor
For all you Stranger Things fans, here's Mirror Ball Man being drove around by The Flea (not the bassist)

ok fine its Bono and Winona Ryder
Watch more television

Master Overlord

Internet Emperor
Just bought a copy of Who's Next. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to my living.

Last edited:

Master Overlord

Internet Emperor
Hey hey mama said the way you sneeze
I know you got seasonal allergies

Jimothy

Umbration

Radiance
-gies -gies -gies -gies -gies

Zules

☕☕☕☕
Admin
Umbration

Caprice
So I was just listening to KUNZITE (band) a few months after discovering them, and I thought to myself, "Dang, these guitar sounds are SO MUCH like Ratatat's--there has to be a connection!"

Turns out both bands have a common member: Mike Stroud! That was pretty cool to discover! :lol:

Zules

☕☕☕☕
Admin
Umbration

Caprice

Jimothy

Umbration

Radiance
But some parts of the Mouth Experience are spookier than everything else put together.

Zules

☕☕☕☕
Admin
Umbration

Caprice

Val

Random Pegasus
Super Patron
Umbration

Cosmos
Reviving this thread to say that I've discovered Symphonic Metal, the somewhat perfect harmony between epic orchestral and awesome electric guitar riffs.
All thanks to these 3 magnificent pieces that I DEFINITELY recommend giving a listen, even though you're not into pony stuff.