☕☕☕☕
Admin
Umbration

Caprice
My sister: "WHY DID YOU TELL ME TO READ THIS THING? -- it's HORRIBLE!"

Me: "but you enjoyed it, right?"

Sister: "well, yes. But NOT RIGHT NOW."
:crylaugh:
(I'm really glad there's a cry-laugh emote because a complex emotion like that is the only one I can have when reading reactions to Chapter 13.)

Jimothy

Aspiring Reader of Chapter 13
Umbration

Radiance
@Zules How do you determine the best way to draw a facial expression?

Zules

☕☕☕☕
Admin
Umbration

Caprice
@Zules How do you determine the best way to draw a facial expression?
Oh, great question!
This is hard for me to answer because I rarely think about it. Evey on panel 3 of this page is the one time I remember actually struggling to get an expression right. (Now faces themselves, I struggle with on a frequent basis, but that's not because I can't get the expression right; it's because I have trouble getting the features/face itself to look right. I'm getting better at this, though.)

One thing that is very apparent to anyone observing me draw, though, is that my face often (always?) contorts into the expression I'm currently drawing. I'm not doing anything on a conscious level, but on a subconscious level, I believe I'm 'acting' out the character's mood and expression, and that process allows me to have a clear idea about how each facial feature squints or stretches for a particular emotion.

Oh, I just remembered another exception; anger. Angry faces have given me a lot of trouble (maybe because I'm rarely ever angry IRL??), and I've had to really think about how I'm drawing the face in certain instances. I made a short twitter post about my findings in case others need help like I did.

Your question was phrased in a way that's open to interpretation, though, so let me know if I can clarify further!

Zules

☕☕☕☕
Admin
Umbration

Caprice
Oh, great question!
This is hard for me to answer because I rarely think about it. Evey on panel 3 of this page is the one time I remember actually struggling to get an expression right. (Now faces themselves, I struggle with on a frequent basis, but that's not because I can't get the expression right; it's because I have trouble getting the features/face itself to look right. I'm getting better at this, though.)

One thing that is very apparent to anyone observing me draw, though, is that my face often (always?) contorts into the expression I'm currently drawing. I'm not doing anything on a conscious level, but on a subconscious level, I believe I'm 'acting' out the character's mood and expression, and that process allows me to have a clear idea about how each facial feature squints or stretches for a particular emotion.

Oh, I just remembered another exception; anger. Angry faces have given me a lot of trouble (maybe because I'm rarely ever angry IRL??), and I've had to really think about how I'm drawing the face in certain instances. I made a short twitter post about my findings in case others need help like I did.

Your question was phrased in a way that's open to interpretation, though, so let me know if I can clarify further!
Also, I've read a fair amount of manga. Good expression influences.

Jo Michelle

Excuse me. I'd just like to say, this is a horrible thing you're doing to Evey and he doesn't deserve any of this!!!!!! :shatteredinnocence: :cryofdisbelief:

Reactions: Rue

Jimothy

Aspiring Reader of Chapter 13
Umbration

Radiance
Excuse me. I'd just like to say, this is a horrible thing you're doing to Evey and he doesn't deserve any of this!!!!!! :shatteredinnocence: :cryofdisbelief:
But it's drawn *so well!*